I can't stay quiet on this topic although my kids are way too young to enter college yet.

I am on the other hand (in my day job) someone who is very qualified to offer an opinion. For many years I have recruited and offered jobs to many graduatuing students and I will say (outside of soccer) the college you/your child selects matters very much in some cases.

As for statistics to back this up, there are many sites to offer advice on career prospects in different fields, salary levels, and graduating rates. Can't speak to NCAA athlete stats but as someone who needs to selectively recruit (based on recruiting budget often) I like IPEDS as a tool.

IPEDS is the primary source for data on colleges, universities, and technical and vocational postsecondary institutions in the United States. IPEDS

I would also point parents to Department of Labor (Statistics) for job market prospects, salary, and growth.
Bureau of Labor Statistics

Happy to say outlook for teachers and software developers looks rosy.

Now if you were looking at a college to get a comp sci or similar degree from, you should be selective. I will state it does matter.

Hmmm... does Carnegie Mellon have a soccer team?

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong