Notwithstanding Sweetfeet's federal educrat statistics, I would not advise any high school student to choose a college based PRIMARILY on the school's soccer program. Academics and other issues (how well does the college "fit" your values and your interests) should be at least as important. The reasons are multitude: the very real potential for career-ending injuries and coaching/program changes are two big ones.

In Summerville, there have been a number of very talented high school soccer players (boys and girls) who have given up the opportunity to play Division II soccer and even Division I soccer at academically weak schools to attend Duke, Chapel Hill, Clemson, Furman, Davidson, and College of Charleston, among others. I would question the sanity of any parent who would prefer their child accept a scholarship to play soccer at a Charleston Southern, a Lander, or a Francis Marion if that child also had the opportunity to attend Clemson or Furman or College of Charleston as a "civilian." The only compelling reason I could see to take the athletic scholarship at the academically weak D2 (or in the case of CSU - DI) school would be financial necessity.

Soccer is a great game but in the grand scheme, it really isn't that important. Not to mention there are intramural teams at Clemson and Chapel Hill that could beat a lot of D2 varsity teams in the area.