Closest approximation of truth that I can see...there is really no possible way for all "deserving" players in the state to be represented on an 18-player all-state team. I understand the argument that it seems unfair for multiple players from the same teams to get the honor while no players from other schools are picked. Limiting the number of players per team would solve this, certainly. On the other hand, the argument could also be made that it would be unfair to penalize a highly deserving player for being a member of a team full of highly deserving players...do you tell the third or fourth choice from, say, a Wando team, "Well, if you played for any other team in the state you would have gotten the honor, but since you happened to play on the same team as these other players, you're out?" Doesn't seem fair to the individuals either. Seems the All-State placement is intended to recognize the individual players, not teams or schools.

Does representation at a meeting make a difference? If all other things are equal or close to equal, certainly. The best any committe can do, though, is to try to make sure all of the players selected ARE worthy of the honor within the scope of the committee's knowledge--not to definitively say that they are MORE worthy than any other players, and certainly not to say that the players not selected are NOT worthy.

I've got good news and bad news...