My wife and myself were not educated enough on the recruiting process (our fault). We've had 5 college recruiting trips this past year. Our daughter will be a senior in high school next year. 2 were because the college showed an interest. 3 were because my daughter wanted to attend those schools even if soccer wasn't part of the picture. If you have a potential college soccer player in the family you need to start the college recruiting process at u15."IF ITS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY" Ask the college coach if there is any ramifications of skipping a club event to participate in a college team camp. You will here from all of them. " If your child wants to play at our school, they have to come to our college camp". Again,."IF ITS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY"
We had and have money and scheduling conflicts on the club events, ODP and a college camp. The college coach at this D1 school told us. You can invest $350 in our college camp for a potential at receiving something $$$ from our institution, or you can send them on your club event. They said you need to make a decision "IS IT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY".
There's a perception out their that clubs have an influence on colleges. We have found out in our college meetings that this is not the case. Colleges have a rather large pool to choose from "THE WORLD". They don't havee to rely on one club.
Where your club can help you is having the club coach make phone calls and send emails to the colleges that your daughter wants to attend. Our club coach has done a great job this year in doing this for us. As parents we should of asked him to do this 2 years ago.
The bottom line is parents need to make a decision for their child athlete base on "WHATS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THEIR FAMILY" " THE WHOLE FAMILY".