I find myself oddly mixed with regard to this post. Certainly as a coach (licensed), parent (3 players), and administrator in club soccer I consider myself in a good position to look at this issue from many angles (both sidelines).

Any chance we can we stop calling soccer coaches and administrators professional and just in some cases paid (like most of us at work). When I think of a professional I think not only of money, but also of advanced certification, years of experience and qualifications that set experts in specialized fields apart. Think lawyers (JD, bar exam), doctors (MD, medical degree), Engineers (PE), Accountants (CPA), etc. Not sure a coaching license; Rec Module (3 hrs), E (3 days), D (6 days), or even A means quite the same thing.

However saying that I am the first to recognize the value and help a top coach can and will provide to your child in teaching how to play soccer. Now whether that coach has a piece of paper to say he is a top coach is less material to me as a parent than the fact that he/she knows their stuff which should be readily apparent to any club administrator or DOC within minutes of starting a session. Many rec level coaches are as good as many in club soccer. Without embarassing some of those in the lowcountry just look at some of the names associated with MPSC rec teams in LSYSA. These guys (like ours) choose to coach because they have kids in the game, and love it. Not for money or fame and their results speak for themselves (many of these kids will go on to classic and challenge). Also before anyone throws out the parent coach insult again, please consider many of our region's 'elite' coaches are also parents. You can get good parent coaches and bad parent coaches. You can get good licensed coaches and bad licensed coaches. You get the point. I generally feel that parent coaches have more skin in the game when it comes to looking after the welfare of the kids and working extra hours to get a point across without looking at the watch.

I actually provided a negative feeling to SCYSA in regard to the license requirement, but not because it is a bad thing to get certified, but because it might prove an obstacle to a good rec or parent coach joining club ranks and helping kids learn the game at lower cost. Again any self respecting club or staff should be able to manage their coaching staff and if they allow 'bad' coaches (parent or uncertified), more fool them and parents will see this very quickly and leave. Administrators have a responsibility to their membership to provide quality training, don't need rules to tell us this. I do agree with Big Daddy with comments that coaching classes (leading to cert) do help improve your planning and execution skills. I would go further and say that in all my courses, it is working with quality instructors that adds real value. Just as serving as assistant coach to a top rated coach helps hone your skills.

Not sure why I went here but responding to a couple of license comments. Sorry but this thread has moved in several directions and just took the opportunity to vent.

I agree with sandman that peer pressure plays a big role in keeping costs high, as does elaborate marketing. I grew up in the 70's with hand me down cleats and is probably why I find the $$ model so abhorrent despite some of its advantages for those that can afford it.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong