Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
C
Coach
Coach
C
I think we've established that there are many different options for soccer training at many different levels. Still more options could be developed if there was a demonstrated demand for them. When people pass by other options and insist on a brand name, though, it means that demand for the brand name is high--and if the product is in higher demand then it commands a higher price.

Do I think that soccer in some places costs a lot more than it HAS to? Sure it does. But it also seems unproductive to pass on other options and then agonize over the price of the brand you insisted on.

Just a thought.

I've got good news and bad news...
I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

ZM, I thought you were a CESA member?

I have purchased one year worth of CESA - with my same USA coach. Go SOLO...

H
goal
goal
H
I'm afraid your analysis is faulty. My son is a freshman at Wofford. Had he not played at the level he did, in the leagues he did, for the teams he did, against the competition he did, Wofford would have signed a kid from out of state instead of him.

S
bench
bench
S
First and foremost, I want to congratulate your son on his accomplishments. He is obviously smart, talented and driven. None of tha following comments are in any way directed at you or your son.

As long as the kid has the desire and the parents have the money, I think it's great for a kid to pursue the highest level of competition. I do think it is importnant to make sure that the kids are playing for themselves, rather than their parents. At a minimum, I think parents should have conversations with their kids between each season to evaluate the kid's thoughts on soccer. It's also important for the kids to maintain a healthy balance so they are prepared (to paraphrase the ncaa commercial) to turn pro in something other than soccer.

H
goal
goal
H
Soccerfan - Thanks. I agree with you, and with the general consensus that seems to have developed in this thread.

Club soccer at the higher levels can be expensive, primarily as a function of travel expenses. Bearing that expense makes sense for some, but by no means all, families. My post to which you replied was in response to Reccos' intimation that if a player ends up playing for a SC college, his having spent the extra money to play in the most competitive and expensive traveling programs was, by definition, unnecessary. That simply isn't accurate. All SC colleges recruit nationally and internationally. Our kids are competing for spots against kids from all over the country and, on occasion, the world. College coaches want players who have successfully competed against the best players and teams available - because that's who they will be competing against in college.

If I understood Reccos correctly, he/she was suggesting that a kid could just as well play his club soccer only in SC and have just as good a chance to play for a SC college. That may happen, but only very rarely.

Finally, in my experience, our club, Columbia United/South Carolina United, will make every effort to allow kids to play at the highest level their ability and desire allows. That is not to say that no one falls through the cracks - they no doubt do - but no one should assume they are financially excluded without first talking long and hard with club officials about help that may be available. I assume that to be the case at other clubs as well.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

I'm afraid your analysis is faulty. My son is a freshman at Wofford. Had he not played at the level he did, in the leagues he did, for the teams he did, against the competition he did, Wofford would have signed a kid from out of state instead of him.

I guess I should have included College Coaches in my list of people to 'blame'!!

My analysis is faulty due to your speculation?

H
goal
goal
H
All you need do is look at the rosters for Wofford, Furman, CofC, Coastal, USC, Clemson, Lander... to see that all of these schools recruit nationally and internationally. If you think that the chances of any of them recruiting a SC kid who played only Classic or Challenge (with minimal to zero wider experience) is more than marginally north of 0, you're mistaken. No speculation necessary.

G
bench
bench
G
Not true...know of four players that were recruited from High School (one to Lander, one to Coastal and two to Francis Marion)...did not even play Club soccer!

H
goal
goal
H
First, I assume you are referring to girls, not boys. I don't know any men's college coach who goes to HS games unless it is to watch a player he has already identified through club. Second, if you consider that there are probably 20 SC colleges with women's soccer, each recruiting a minimum (educated guess) of five ladies per year, I'd say four out of one hundred proves my point.

goal
goal
Quote:

I don't know any men's college coach who goes to HS games unless it is to watch a player he has already identified through club.

I believe you live in your own club/ODP world. Fact is it's a lot of sources that men's coaches "find" their players. Through their own camps, working other camps, high school or club coaching contacts, ODP, all-star games, etc. There isn't one scientific way to be recruited but the more exposure against top competition goes a long way regardless if it is club or high school. There was a senior goalkeeper this past year that signed with a D1 school obviously based on his ODP or club performance because it certainly wasn't for his high school exploits!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard