Quote:

There's a saying about exceptions that prove the rule that applies here. As I said, pointing to four recruits out of 100+ tends to prove my point.

Simply out of respect for the rules of logic and probability...just because one person who happens to post on this thread happens to know four players who were exceptions to the theory, it would be awfully hasty to assume they were the only four out there.

If, from all of the hundreds (thousands?) of people involved in SC soccer, we could find people who know just double the number of addidional exceptions known by the one (I'd call that fairly good odds) we're up to 12 out of your hundred (given your 100+ designation, we'll round to 10%.)

Now, while the odds are definitely in favor of the high-level club players, I'd still call 10% more significant than "marginally north of 0."

Then we get into the issue of causality. Do people become blue-chip players because they choose to travel? Or do they choose to travel because they are blue-chip players? That's kind of on the same line as asking a club, "Should the blue-chip players come to you because you win a lot of championships, or do you win a lot of championships because the blue-chip players choose to gather there?" Does the club make the players, or do the players make the club? Or some combination thereof?

My point is, there is definitely value to playing at the highest level and getting as much exposure as possible--no need to have to defend the investment; I don't think anyone's rationally calling it a waste--but there is no "only" path. It's a myth. The other paths may be more difficult and may require a lot of effort and some pure luck...but they exist. There is no "only."

Granted, the girls' game is a different monster indeed, but I worked with a girl in high school and Classic club ball who got called to an interview for Clemson and was actively recruited as a keeper by VT...right alongside a girl from New Zealand, if I remember correctly. I'm glad nobody ever convinced her that if she didn't have the "right" opportunities coming along, she had absolutely no chance to compete.

I've got good news and bad news...