Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

First, I assume you are referring to girls, not boys. I don't know any men's college coach who goes to HS games unless it is to watch a player he has already identified through club. Second, if you consider that there are probably 20 SC colleges with women's soccer, each recruiting a minimum (educated guess) of five ladies per year, I'd say four out of one hundred proves my point.

HD: You do realize you are debating two different points, right?

And once again just because you don't know of a player that was recruited at a HS game, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Girls soccer verbal commitments:
Clemson:
class of 2011:
3 from California
1 from Charlotte

South Carolina:
Class of 2011
1 from Canada
1 from NJ
1 from VA
1 from PA
class of 2012
1 from PA

There is not only not any recruits from SC but between the two schools only 1 even from region III. With these distant recruits, I'd guess a lot of time is spent by these coaches watching games outside of SC and adjoining states. I would assume the early recruits is where their scholarship money is going. I highly doubt they attend any high school games or few if any in state SC club level games. I'm not sure if USC coaches even attended SC club state cup. I suppose it is all dependent on the level of college play. If you want to play soccer in college, there is a place for everyone. There are college soccer teams in SC that are beaten by U15 premier SC club teams. So even if the SC player wants to go to college in state or nearby, depending on the school they want to attend to play soccer, he/she is competing nationally for those spots and coaches will want to see how they size up against players from across the nation. Therein requires the high travel and participation in things like ODP, regionals, ECNL for girls, academy for boys etc. In order to even be considered at division 1 "local" SC schools, coaches want to see the player in context of other players across the US. Now if divsion 1 college soccer or the travel experience isn't an interest of the player, then it probably doesn't make sense to spend the time and money for a team that plays in leagues or tournaments across the US. These teams will be expensive to belong to and with the cost of travel will likely become more expensive.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
College coaches most certainly do attend high school games. In the Columbia area I see, and often speak with, college coaches representing many colleges at local high school tournaments.

USC coaches from both sides show up frequently.

goal
goal
they might attend those games, but that does not necessarily mean they are recruiting at those games. chances are they're checking out one or more of their signees playing, watching a few matches (just cause that's what they do); and there's always that off-chance they see somebody who had previously escaped their eye. but, it's highly doubtful they are there to really scope out an unknown (to them) player's abilities.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
The whole argument pretty much ends if you look at the reality. Take Clemson and USC and Furman and College of Charleston as examples......and look at the bios of their freshmen and sophs.

First of all, if a kid is from Texas or California or Florida or England or Canada.....its a pretty good bet that they weren't recruited out of HS play.

Secondly, for the regional kids (Carolinas, GA, TN, VA) see where they played prior to enrolling at that school. What Club team or Academy team is referenced.

If 80% or more of the kids played at the highest level (Academy or R3 on the boys side.....R3 or ECNL on the girls side) then its probably a pretty safe bet that thats where the college coaches are doing their recruiting.

D2-D3 schools and maybe even some lower level D1 schools may use HS games to assess players, but I doubt ACC or SoCon coaches are...unless there are special tournaments like Viking Cup for the girls.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

These coaches have admitted that the two or so players are better technically than those that made the team, it was there size. This has happened from u11-u15... So they have already been pigeon-holed and we all know that in most cases size eventually equals out. Maybe SC players aren't good enough because many of the coaches think they can make players out of some of the bigger, faster (and many many times) less dedicated players.

To tell the truth, I could give example after example where in my sons age group( because I have seen them all play for years) where the all the smaller players are moved down and it doesn't matter if they are better soccer players, even if they demonstrate so in games.

1. All things being equal I would pick the bigger kid
2. All things being equal I would pick the faster kid

However, things are never CETERIS PARIBUS

What's that guys name from Argentina who is what 5'4"? His coach, I forget his name (who was the best also), who was 5'3", maybe.

Wayne, for the life of me, I forget his name... he use to play hockey... but they said he was too small to survive.

well, all things being equal, I would take faster, stronger players as well. I didn't say things were equal though. The team played better when the skilled players had the ball and the team kept possession, as opposed to when they just booted it around. Ticky-tack possession soccer is why Sapin won the World Cup.

I
goal
goal
I
You showed me... that is the last time I back your point up!

M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

Quote:

These coaches have admitted that the two or so players are better technically than those that made the team, it was there size. This has happened from u11-u15... So they have already been pigeon-holed and we all know that in most cases size eventually equals out. Maybe SC players aren't good enough because many of the coaches think they can make players out of some of the bigger, faster (and many many times) less dedicated players.

To tell the truth, I could give example after example where in my sons age group( because I have seen them all play for years) where the all the smaller players are moved down and it doesn't matter if they are better soccer players, even if they demonstrate so in games.

1. All things being equal I would pick the bigger kid
2. All things being equal I would pick the faster kid

However, things are never CETERIS PARIBUS

What's that guys name from Argentina who is what 5'4"? His coach, I forget his name (who was the best also), who was 5'3", maybe.

Wayne, for the life of me, I forget his name... he use to play hockey... but they said he was too small to survive.

well, all things being equal, I would take faster, stronger players as well. I didn't say things were equal though. The team played better when the skilled players had the ball and the team kept possession, as opposed to when they just booted it around. Ticky-tack possession soccer is why Sapin won the World Cup.

Well said Clark!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

they might attend those games, but that does not necessarily mean they are recruiting at those games. chances are they're checking out one or more of their signees playing, watching a few matches (just cause that's what they do); and there's always that off-chance they see somebody who had previously escaped their eye. but, it's highly doubtful they are there to really scope out an unknown (to them) player's abilities.

Never said they were there for recruiting. But I'm not saying "I THINK" they are recruiting or not. I just don't think they go to HS soccer games to get away from work. Would watching one of their signees not be part of the recruiting process? Is a coach watching/evaluating a 10th grader not part of recruiting process? In my opinion, a college coach would go anywhere to see prospective players, whether it's ODP, Premier league, club tournaments or large high school tournaments. Just don't tell me they're only at a high school for fun and relaxation. They're always on the job. That's what they do, right?

Last edited by dhunter; 09/01/10 07:32 PM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
OK guys ...

So if these 'big time' colleges in SC are recruiting nationally and internationally (and not locally), what are we doing wrong?

Maybe we are not travelling far enough away from SC?

goal
goal
personally, i think we're improving, overall; it just takes time. remember, the japanese did not build the pyramids overnight.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard