#139494 09/03/10 03:24 AM
R
RECCOS Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
R
Are we winning at all costs?

I firmly believe that player development is being sacrificed for the big W!

And it is no more apparent than at the premier / elite level.

Case in point, I witnessed a 'warm up' at the Challenge State Cup this past fall that forced me to stick around and watch the game. Expecting a dynamic display I was bitterly disappointed and the experience left me totally dismayed.

The trophies and titles have got to us.

The result ... we are doing a disservice to these kids that want to play at the next level.

Comments welcome.

R
RECCOS Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
R
Just to clarify any half decent coach can coach to win -- or maybe we should call it 'not to lose'.

Once again, where is the player development in all of this?

S
kick off
kick off
S
I totally agree. I am watching games where the strategy is "play the long ball and have forwards try to pick balls from the air or run them into the goal". Passing in the mid-field is NOT allowed for fear of losing the ball. This cannot be good for development. Where is the pressure coming from? Is it from parents who will only stick with a winning club or is it from Club Management?
SL.

J
throw in
throw in
J
I couldn't agree more with the fact that there are plenty of coaches and parents that are win at all costs. However looney I am not sure I fully agree with your statement, there are alot of coaches experimenting with a higher tempo of play. At our level we are being encourage to coach a style of play based on the type of kids we have. Currently I have a group of kids who are very athletic so we play very fast, it's not a win at all cost mentality it's trying to keep your kids interested in the game while still trying to stress fundamentals. When you play this style you spend alot of time teaching passing techniques than anything else.

Jobu #139498 09/04/10 12:55 PM
H
goal
goal
H
The USSF DA has very clear expectations regarding training and style of game play. Both are evaluated regularly. A team that trains and/or plays in the hit and chase style will be severely criticized, and eventually sanctioned. Developing skillful players is the reason the DA exists. I wish the game and training evaluations were for public consumption (they aren't) because you would be amazed at the depth and breadth of the analysis provided by the evaluators (USSF staff - including nat'l team and college coaches). If you don't do it right you get hammered!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Win at all costs? Sure..Who wants to lose? But I think coaches work with what they have to get that win. Not all players have the same ability or are fundamentally sound in their game..It's not just here..World cup games were played with over the top balls for ninety minutes this summer..As far as development of kids..It's alot better than it was six years ago and I believe the results will come..Change takes time..

M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

I totally agree. I am watching games where the strategy is "play the long ball and have forwards try to pick balls from the air or run them into the goal". Passing in the mid-field is NOT allowed for fear of losing the ball. This cannot be good for development. Where is the pressure coming from? Is it from parents who will only stick with a winning club or is it from Club Management?
SL.

Looney, if you have a kid who is involved in a training atmosphere as you've described my recommendation is to run like the wind if you expect him or her to develop into a top level player.

The game is ALL about possession, defending and finishing. That requires individual technical ability, vision, anticipation, athleticism, movement after passing the ball and above all desire to out work your opponent mentally and physically.

Any program playing the long ball 90% of the time and bypassing the midfield is making the game about as boring as one can imagine. Such a style requires no creativity on or off of the ball. Sure, you'll lose the ball more in the midfield, but that's why you play with four defenders and one of many effective midfield formations to recover quickly to guard against the counter attack when the midfield isn't bypassed..

Find a club/coach that'll emphasize simple touches and movement and you'll see the development of a faster pace than you can imagine. Players who understand how to let the ball do the work by keeping the game simple are the ones I personally enjoy watching. Anything else, slows the game down and generates countless turnovers.

Pretty certain what you've describing is actually taught by few these days, because the coaches/trainers we've had over the years each emphasize what I've outlined. Ultimately, it's up to the player to decide to play simple, with vision and anticipation, but someone has to teach them how to do it.

And to the point of winning at all cost with the strategy you've described, I personally see no developmental benefit in being on such a team. Do your homework by watching teams play before you go to tryouts. If the style isn't what will develop your kid, then go elsewhere.

Put the time into locating the right training environment and I think you'll be very pleased with the outcomes on a the personal and team levels.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

Win at all costs? Sure..Who wants to lose? But I think coaches work with what they have to get that win. Not all players have the same ability or are fundamentally sound in their game..It's not just here..World cup games were played with over the top balls for ninety minutes this summer..As far as development of kids..It's alot better than it was six years ago and I believe the results will come..Change takes time..

From my experience, the coaches that are "playing with what they have" chose those players over others. I've said it on other posts, the coaches in my sons age group admitted he had more skill but was "smaller and not as fast". Didn't matter that he was one of the best 3 or 4 players on the field. These coaches either want to win at all cost or think they can make these other kids into players. For the past 5-6 years I have not seen this happen. Funny thing is, when my son and the other small kid that was dropped were in the middle of the action and getting the ball a lot, the team played better. And as for the comment on World Cup teams, Spain won playing ticky-tack soccer.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I understand what your saying..Who takes pks in girls games? Nine out of ten times it's the bigger stronger girl..It does not mean she makes the goal..Coaches just feel they have a better chance..I have talked to coaches that have cut players that were better than ones they chose.
I wanted to understand why they might do this..One reply that I got was the player did not fit the scheme that the coach wanted to run..I guess they have to coach them so they get to pick them..We don't have that problem on the girls side..Not to many to choose from

R
RECCOS Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
R
Here is a slow lob for all of you ...

Anson Dorrance ruined soccer in the USA!

Once upon a time the USA were all-dominant ... when the rest of the world didnt even play soccer.

Now we can't even qualify for the U17 World Cup!! (Even though we probably have more female players than the rest of the world combined).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard