Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
D
Goal
Goal
D
What if, on the way home from either tryout, the coach sees a true next "Pele" or "Hamm" that didn't attend the tryouts playing a pick up game on some playground? Does the coach just drive on without investigating, because the coach is restricted by the tryout deadline?

DeltaDog #140165 11/18/10 12:06 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
One of my favorite ODP "what if's"... What if the absolute, hands down, no question, beyond any doubt, BEST 8 goalkeepers in the country in one age group all live/play in SC? Do you cut 6 to fit a traditional team roster, or do you take all 8 knowing the regional and national coaches are going to want an opportunity to evaluate the best 8 goalkeepers in the country?

Now, how many of the 8 would make the district cut?

Last edited by DeltaDog; 11/18/10 12:10 AM.
DeltaDog #140166 11/18/10 12:19 AM
C
bench
bench
C
well said dog, Its all about the training

conehead #140167 11/18/10 01:12 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
For the "newbies", as Cainhoy Athletic calls them, I hate the $70 first tryout fee, but even if your son or daughter only participates once I would do it. At least once your son or daughter will finally play with others from around the state that until then they may only have played against. Neither of my daughters really wanted to participate the first year they tried out (yeah, I know, bad dad). But, after the first year (actually the first weekend), I couldn't stop them. My oldest came home from her first state tryout and said "Dad, you remember that girl (very competitive player) from club X? She really is a nice girl." And, the experience changed the level of respect they had for one another, when they went back to their respective clubs. They've never played together in club or high school, but have considered each other friends ever since.

Conehead, it is all about the training (from wherever) that helps prepare for making/playing the next level. But the benefits and attractions of participation both on and off the field for my daughters went much further.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 11/18/10 01:17 AM.
conehead #140168 11/18/10 01:23 AM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Dog and CHT. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks $70 for a few hours tryout is a little rich. I have no idea how many kids go to these things but if 50 show up, then someone bags $3,500. As a club we could get a whole buch of high level technical training with that budget. Put it in perspective, my kids can get a technical clinic for two days with Battery Players for $45 at Cainhoy. For $70 we are running a 3 evening indoor clinic and this includes weekend tournament fees, match experience, and T shirt.

Does SCYS / ODP offer scholarships for this or waive fees for those in need? That might help in some regard to make these available to more.

Anyway, this $70 alone wouldn't knock my child out of considering the opportunity, but I have to say I am totally in the dark what sort of financial commitment is needed beyond the initial $70 and that makes me more than a little wary.

I like the idea of sending my child along (young one) for the experience, exposure to new coaches, and as motivation to work harder and practice longer. That would be worth the $70 without making any cut, but if they do get picked, I want to at least know what else is involved (time and money). I guess I should contact SCYS as someone suggested but this is much more fun.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
DeltaDog #140169 11/18/10 01:34 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
(CA, I'd find out about the followup $$$ as well. While this may be more fun, you've a registration deadline coming up and you may need to go straight to the source for answers. Getting cut isn't without value. Each year at region camp my daughters essentially got cut. It kept their heads from getting too big.)

My daughters are done. While I obviously care about what is in store for those following them, I guess it's time for me to go try making some "soccer recovery" money and leave the future of ODP in the hands of the "newbies".

My daughters wouldn't trade their ODP experiences for the world. Good luck to all those who do decide (and are allowed) to participate. I'm out of here.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 11/18/10 01:42 AM.
DeltaDog #140170 11/18/10 01:51 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
OK. Yeah, I'm out of here. But if the powers that be abuse those powers... I'll be back. NOW, I'm out of here and I don't need any of it, well maybe this chair and maybe that lamp and...

DeltaDog #140171 11/18/10 04:01 AM
Brace
Brace
D Dog,

We are not talking Region Camp in respect to coaches but the training sessions before Region Camp. My son had Coach Sam Okpodu the last two years and he gave more than our monies worth in training, [censored] good training. It is not only the tryout fee, then the subregion fee, but then the region fee. Plain and simple, if coach not assigned, no go for our family = no tryout.

H
brace
brace
H
backscreen im going to base this on what i know about the 96 girls and no other age group.
at region camp your state coach only coaches you in games. each state team has someone assigned to them that does the training. in the case of the 96 girls i believe he was a club coach with GSA. during the intitial games i think you are right that there is not much attention being paid to each age groups state games by the other coaches. i think that is done when the pool/holdeover games are played. i have never thought that kids make the pools from the state games. you can see that by how some sc teams have done well but not gotten the girls into pools.a player depends on 10 other players out on the field. if you have a bad day or dont get the ball much then you may get over looked. that is the part of odp that is a team sport. the coach that is assigned to the team probably has the most input on who makes a pool. if that is the case then i think it is more import to do well in the training more so than in the games. that is when odp is a individuale sport.
sorry for capital letters and the misspelled word. and bad grammer

Last edited by Hard Headed; 11/18/10 01:08 PM.
Hard Headed #140173 11/18/10 01:07 PM
H
brace
brace
H
i can say that odp for my daughter was well worth it. coach matt smith did a good job the last two years with the girls.

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard