sandman, right behind you...

Do you think youth soccer clubs dicriminate against minorities?

I do not think discrimination (by clubs or their administrators/coaches) is to blame for the poor showing of minorities in club soccer. At least not in the most egregious meaning of the word to apply prejudice based on skin color or racial characteristic. Actually I would venture to suggest quite the opposite. Sensitive to this, I think most administrators and coaches try very hard to be inclusive and provide every opportunity when a suitable candidate (player) registers with their club. Of course, I think we could all make life a little better by dropping fees (attractive to everyone and especially marginalized communities and populations). Still dropping fees will only move the needle by a factor and not force the full swing.

I would look a little deeper to understand the challenge we have in increasing participation for everyone and particularly for minorities who struggle with social/language differences. In my (somewhat limited experience) I have found that 'Club' players generally start at the rec department and move due to natural promise, eager parents (with soccer background/insight), or recruited by club reps (pariahs trawling all-star sidelines and car parks). Whatever the motive to get to the next level around 2nd/3rd grade this is where those playing challenge, etc. mostly started and is where I believe we should be doing more to increase diversity in the sport and opportunity for all.

Rec departments have a duty to their tax paying stakeholders and is why most municipal programs (if not all) are centered in densely populated areas with lots of taxpayers. Grand facilities are built in 'nice areas' and soccer coaches live on the block. Moms don't want to drive more than 5 minutes and everyone is so busy it just makes sense (logistically and ROI) to keep these rec programs of large scale centralized that generally favor the majorioty (ironically antithesis of minority). I had a very interesting conversation with State school inspector a few weeks ago and he informed me most parents putting their kids in different school (outside of zoned) due to convenience (work/car pool, etc.) and that makes sense and probably will play against any of us trying to push opportunity beyond geographic status quo, but it is worth the effort.

Our club has tried hard to promote soccer to new audiences (especially at the youngest age groups) but we have had mixed success. Early numbers were promising but by our third season (fall '10), our minority numbers had dropped. Certainly fees play a part but what I have found the most challenging (and to be frank frustrating) obstacle is either parent ability or willingness to commit to practices and/or games (sometimes leaving coaches high and dry). Still we'll step it up in the spring and I have already reached out to community leaders, boys & girls club, and schools to push the word out that a quality soccer program is available at low cost in their backyard. I've seen success at clubs like Walterboro who field diverse, happy teams and know we can all do better if we just keep at it.

Thanks for reading, and if your club isn't working hard to increase soccer awareness and skills long before try outs, competitive leagues, and our crazy world of 'club soccer', please consider it.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong