Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#141255 01/04/11 10:08 PM
S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Cadie Naquin (Notre Dame Prep, Arizona) wrote a fantastic article about giving up club time to play with your high school team and vice versa. Are organizations out to get the elite soccer players off the high school teams to even the playing field?

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-socc...ther_for_Never=

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I read that article and I thought her main point was that the HS association would not allow players to play club soccer while participating in HS soccer. Her gripe was that she was never given a satisfactory reason why she couldn't go to important college showcases in Raleigh and Florida during the Arizona winter HS season.

I believe she stated that if she played soccer for her HS and wanted to play club basketball or volleyball at the same time, that was allowed. However, playing soccer in Florida during the two week period when there are no HS practices or games was stictly forbidden.

She asks the question at some point, "isn't it supposed to be all about the player"? If a player wants to do both, why not let them? She states that even though the competition and the level of player in HS varies, that she sees value in it. She also states that she is being punished and forced to miss valuable opportunities by not being allowed to go with her club team.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Harry, how many high school boys and girls basketball, baseball, softball, and football players miss their high school athletics to participate in showcases, combines, etc. The answer is none. Yet the kids that succeed in these other high school sports seem to have a better opportunities to play at the next level because of more scholarship availability. I heard on ESPN the other day that there are 68 men football scholarships available at D1 colleges and 9 men soccer scholarships available at D1 colleges. It sounds like the girl went with her heart and was loyal to her high school team. Kudos to her and her parents. The year round travel for youth soccer is a bunch of BS to line the soccer directors pockets. The top sports in the USA don't see a need to do all of the wasteful spending and travel.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
GBDawgs. Different sports. Different models. D1 colleges don't look for soccer players at high schools. They do for other sports like baseball, football and basketball.

Comparing the different sports isn't comparing apples and apples. The point is irrelevant given the reality of the different sports.

I don't see the value of HS soccer to college recruiting changing, but unless/until it magically does, the showcases are the place to find college coaches looking for recruits. That's simply the reality for soccer.

Last edited by JAK; 01/05/11 03:51 AM.
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
JAK, the reason the college coaches don't look for soccer players at the high schools is because NOW, there are the showcase events. This has really only to begin to occur with great regularity the past few years. I agree with GB, it is a "money thing" with the Clubs. They want to control and get paid from the players and families year round. Thus (and they are smart to do this) they have created year round showcases and events to keep the players involved resulting in some conflicts during the high school season. Before the showcase events became as numerous as they are now, the college soccer coaches DID come to the high schools. At one time (and only a few years ago) most State High School Leagues forbid a student playing Club during the High School season. It was not a rule to penalize the Clubs, but a rule to assure these players got some rest and actually had some time to do schoolwork and study.

H
goal
goal
H
Who's to say that the soccer model isn't a better one? From a purely developmental perspective there is no question that the club system is superior to high school. If football and basketball players (baseball does a lot of it already), played with and against only players of their approximate ability, they would all improve. That's what club soccer does. With only a tiny number of exceptions, a high school soccer team is, to put it charitably, not good. Forcing good soccer players to only play high school (as gbdawgs seems to want), would set back soccer development in this country decades. In fact, we'd never recover.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

JAK, the reason the college coaches don't look for soccer players at the high schools is because NOW, there are the showcase events. This has really only to begin to occur with great regularity the past few years. I agree with GB, it is a "money thing" with the Clubs. They want to control and get paid from the players and families year round. Thus (and they are smart to do this) they have created year round showcases and events to keep the players involved resulting in some conflicts during the high school season. Before the showcase events became as numerous as they are now, the college soccer coaches DID come to the high schools. At one time (and only a few years ago) most State High School Leagues forbid a student playing Club during the High School season. It was not a rule to penalize the Clubs, but a rule to assure these players got some rest and actually had some time to do schoolwork and study.

Can you provide a link with the proof that this is the case? Thanks

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Baseball..summer leagues..American legion ball and travel teams
Basketball..has additional leagues as well
Football is only off during winter and summer months..
Spring games and weight training pretty much year round..

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 01/05/11 03:41 PM.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I guess I'm missing something. I played club and HS 20+ years ago. I went to showcase tournaments. I even went to Florida (Tampa at that time) after Christmas. I was recruited and had offers to play. I couldn't get the schools that were in my town to come to see a high school game. I don't think this is a recent invention by club directors.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Speaking only from my experience the past 8 years with my kids, here in Greenville. As recent as 2008 (and the years before) College Soccer Coaches would scout at their High School games. After 2008, I have seen none. Not to say that there could have been some. These teams of 09 and 10 did have players to go on and play college soccer. The combines make is easy for the College Coaches to view many players. No doubt a good thing. It should not have to be either, or.
Club or High School. There should be adequate time for both.
Many of the bigger Clubs (in my opinion) are not favorable
to high school play.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard