Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
throw in
throw in
C
There is no "All things Being Equal".
Test scores is a direct reflection of and a correlation to "wealth".
Soccer is a an expensive sport and the success is directly reflected in the communities that is is funded.
The only peak and valley that occur in womwns soccer is the communities that are in the middle of the wealth distribution.
Wando, Riverside, Mann, Irmo, Etc will always have good teams.
Historically minority schools will always be at the bottom of womens soccer.
But they will always have excellent basketball programs. One basketball split between 10 players who compete in the same clothes they wear every day for school is alot more economical than what 10 soccer players would cost, a pair of predators you can only wear on the pitch is twice what a pair of Jordan's cost.
Thats not to say they cannot produce a quality player at any school but I am talking about teams. That is why you see people complaining about JL Mann. Whom is being recruited there? Smarter females who are going to have the training to help the team or whom can get the training.
How many of the Mann players are actually from the assigned attendance area for JL Mann? Would that affect their performance if they could only play where they are assigned?

Its all nice and heartwarming to keep thinking that our teams are good because of happenstance but the soccer world revolves around money on all levels.

brace
brace
Is JL Mann a magnet school? or is there school choice there?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Mann is a magnet school for math and science. They allow around 45-50 people outside of their district to attend.
Looking at roster I don't see any players outside the district. Its all about clubs. Cesa is in the heart of JL mann, Mauldin, Riverside, Greenville etc. Couple of neighborhoods were rezoned for Mann a few years ago ;which were club heavy. So we are getting the benefits of that. Another reason Riverside dominated soccer years ago was the only club in town was on that side of town. I think it was GFC then. It is strange that Wade Hampton and Eastside are seeing fewer club players.

Last edited by patriot; 02/28/11 09:25 PM.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
So far haven't reaped any benefits any way. Boys won first title for either side last year. They did have couple of Mauldin transfers. But who wants to go to Mauldin.

corner kick
corner kick
Patriot,
Below is my statement from November last year and below that is your response. What has changed? You also have senior and key player on your team that is zoned for Mauldin. She may not like not the reaping any benefits statement.

Patriot,
I can think of six players on JL Mann's Boys State Championship soccer team from last year that were zoned for Mauldin. I think if they had all played for Mauldin things might have been different for both teams.

Good example Mavs dad. We also reaped benefits in baseball when there was no more room in the inn at Riverside. Kids want to play and if there is other schools with opportunities they will go or like Byrnes if there is a strong program they want to be a part of it.

Only time will tell
C
throw in
throw in
C
If you had included Carolina, Southside, Greer, all of which are in the CESA domain I might give you a partial club argument. Its wealth for test scores and soccer. The demographics for Wade Hampton and Eastside have changed in the past 20 years. Thanks BMW. You are welcome Riverside.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
thats Boys. What is this. Mann recruits and no other school does. Mann is that attractive?. Southside is magnet and took half of Greenville Boys basketball team. Whine at them. Byrnes football recruits. Greenville football had its moments. Riverside baseball? Eastside wrestling ? If you want a good soccer team just get Spaulding Farm zoned for your school. Thats half the team.

Last edited by patriot; 03/01/11 12:39 AM.
C
throw in
throw in
C
Thats my point. When you start out with a wealthy demographic you will have a good team. If you have the opportunity to pull from outside your attendance area and can attract academic/wealthy then the chance of pulling in a bluechipper is exponentially increased.

Is Spaulding Farm a nice area?

corner kick
corner kick
This is an issue with high school sports and schools being able to recruit.

Mann has the ability to recruit, as do other magnet schools. If I want my kid wrestle at Eastside, I have to move into that district. If I want my to kid play a sport at Mann, I have to apply. Oh and be good at it.
Not sure but I think Spaulding Farms used to be zoned Mauldin, you certainly drive by Mauldin on the way to Mann

Only time will tell
C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
If Mauldin would get some of those "Prom- Party Buses" like Mann has, their students would not go to Mann.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard