Because I know the profession of some referees I consider the better ones, I have to disagree with your point about that. Some of the best that I know of are most definitely not what you are calling "professionals." But does that mean they are not intelligent, hard-working and successful people? I would answer with a resounding "NO."

Don't know about anybody else, but as a general rule, I'd prefer to NOT have a "lawyer" or "high power corporate type" officiating my child's matches.

Honestly, if you asked me what I think about operators at nuclear power plants, it might be, “Well, if they can’t get a job doing anything else…” (and, to answer your next question, yes, I actually do know a couple nuclear plant operators). But, from reading your posts over the years, you sound like maybe you’re not a typical nuclear plant operator – so, props to you!

Other than that, which actually sounds a tad out of character for you (maybe you’ve been hanging out in areas of the plant you shouldn’t have been?) I tend to agree with most of what you said.