Yep, year after year, the same posts and many of the same comments. So, I'll write my epistle and get if off my chest!!!

I was inspired to get into reffing when I saw what I thought was incompetence by officials occurring on a much-too-regular basis at both my kids' soccer games. Now, 9 years later, I wonder how many "new" officials I have inspired!!!

The plain truth is about half of all new officials quit after the first year; can't handle the fan, coach, and player abuse. You never truly know what it's like to have young players express themselves profanely in your direction on a soccer field until you've experienced it firsthand! You never know what thick skin you have to have when a parent who doesn't understand rules decides to embarrass themselves publicly in your direction until you've experienced it!

Listen, I've worked with some referees who've I've wished I didn't have to work with! On more than one occasion in high school have I worked with a new official - on a two-man system - who's shown up without a whistle or a watch or a set of cards. More times than I care to count.

And I think to myself, these folks have got to start somewhere - I started somewhere and I had some patient folks along the way who helped me immensely. Maybe these folks can glean something from me.

The majority of folks on this message board have an idea of what constitutes a "bad referee". It may not be as easy a thing to define a "good referee". One way to increase our "good referee" pool is to have newer referees work games with patient, more experienced referees.

I would love to have a "mandatory" next-day telephone conversation with the coaches of both teams from the day before and chat about what they saw that could have made for a more positive game. I hope they'd also allow me to say what I saw that could be done better. Wouldn't take very long to do - and it'd be "reportable" and "quantifiable".

It's interesting that I see more often than I'd like high school coaches who are unfamiliar with soccer - that makes it really tough on officials!

Another thing that makes it tough on officials in a 2-man system in high school - most games are played in football stadiums where the fans are sitting higher than the field. Fans are able to see "over" players and are able to see things that an official having to see "through" players isn't going to see.

There needs to be an acknowledgment from coaches to parents - and referees to coaches and players - that calls will be missed - it happens. We officials, as well as coaches and players, have to understand that referees are human therefore we are prone to make mistakes. Coaches can go a long way towards helping parents understand acceptable behavior.

It's always "interesting" when a coach questions a call I made - or didn't make - and I agree with him and say, "Coach, I may have made a mistake on that one". I've found that most coaches appreciate when a referee makes a "sincere" apology about a mistake - I'd love to know a coach's opinion about that. I've found that good officials readily acknowledge their mistakes - there are some officials who, for whatever reason, refuse to admit they made a mistake.

I'll always remember a high school game I was reffing where I called what was perceived as a "late foul" in order to see if "advantage" would develop. The parents started getting on me - the coach, to his credit, turns around to his parents and tells them not to yell at me - then commences to yell at me himself! It was "all good" when I ran over to him to explain why I did what I did.

But, more to the topic; in order to get better, I had to put myself in a position to referee with better officials than me. I was very lucky to be able to ref at the Disney tournament for 3 years - worked with folks from across the nation who were grade 4, 5, and 6 - all willing to share their experience with someone who just soaked it in.

That same thing needs to happen here - but there exists a clique. It seems that a certain pool of officials get the best games and work with each other regularly. I'd regularly get more games in Premier League play ON THE ROAD on fields my kids were playing on when an official wouldn't show up than I'd be assigned here. Same is true of high school situation as you'll see the same folks, if you just watch.

No question the best officials should work Premier League or high school playoff games - how do we determine the "best officials"??? It shouldn't be left to an assigner's discretion but it will be. Coaches, players, and other referees should have the ability to influence the perception of what a good official should be. Those are the folks who have helped shape me into the official I am today.

Because of finances, the two-man system is probably here to stay with high school soccer. We have to look for ways to make the best of what we have. For what it's worth, I have NEVER - at any level - worked with an official who purposely missed a call. I hope I never do.

Every year, we all have to take a test and make an 85 or better on it. That means I can miss 15 per cent of my calls, right?!?!? I have to attend a night of training, another night for the test, get my own uniforms and gear, pay my assigner a $38 fee to book me, pay $36 to the High School League to take the high school exam, and work two nights of scrimmages for free. Why do I do it??? I'd encourage you folks to try it - especially you folks who have a sincere interest in making officials better.

I'm reaching the point in my reffing career where fitness becomes an issue. I don't have many years left and, truth be known, now that my kids are way beyond high school age, I keep wondering why I do it. Maybe it's the thought that I can call a game fairly and the kids on the field will know it - maybe I can help a kid understand they're not going to win all the time in life but they're not always going to lose either - maybe I can help a kid understand the real joy in playing soccer is the relationships with teammates and the experience of being on the field. Maybe I can help a kid understand a referee's not always to blame for what happens on the field.

So, I look forward for one more year to hearing from folks on the pitch - and on this board....