Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Goal
Goal
Hey Hurst...Page 3!!!!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

So what do you have to say about the crew that ejected you?

I removed myself because I got tired of arguing with the great officiating.

This is my favorite one so far, done in good taste. BE NICE!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
brace
brace
B
My response would be, while it's nice to recognize a job well-done, or even passably done, "passable" SHOULD be the minimum expectation level for ADULT/PAID officials. To me, recognizing a job well-done is kind of like giving a trophy to everyone who participates in the local rec league.
It's SUPPOSED to be well-done.
But if it makes folks happy, have at it.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

My response would be, while it's nice to recognize a job well-done, or even passably done, "passable" SHOULD be the minimum expectation level for ADULT/PAID officials. To me, recognizing a job well-done is kind of like giving a trophy to everyone who participates in the local rec league.

I reckon titles don't mean much as well as context. So easy to criticize, but difficult to offer praise and compliments. I'm guilty of the criticizing part, but many people come here to talk smack about 14 year old kids and guys that are getting paid peanuts to put in an ENORMOUS amount of hours in order to coach, and many of these programs are not gifted with challenge or region III players or even classic players.

So YES...it does make me happy when I see a thread like this.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

world cup
world cup
The question, Backscreen, is what is your level of expectation, and, is it reasonable?

How often do you send your steak back at Ruth's Chris?
How often do you send your burger back at McDonald's?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

GREAT IDEA! Let's take away state championships and all-region honors. In fact, coach of the year should be removed as well. Instead, we can just hand out a capri-sun and little debbie cake at the end of practice. Aren't these players and coaches suppose to do a good job?

B
brace
brace
B
Two different things, and a lousy analogy.

1) Excellence SHOULD be recognized with all-region, COY-type honors. Mediocrity (or worse) SHOULD NOT (and is not) recognized.

2) Adult officials are not competing with each other to win or lose; they are attempting to reach an objective standard of officiating. Comparing their job with coaches' and (especially) players' is a reach.

3) A player/coach can do a great job and lose! Happens all the time. Officials who do a lousy job can affect outcomes.
Sadly, THAT happens all-too-often in ALL high school sports in SC.

4) When a player doesn't meet expectations, he may see less playing time. A coach? May be replaced. High school soccer officials? Where's the accountability? Everyone -- especially the players -- knows who the bad ones are. But I'll bet, the guy I saw in Beaufort last week will be in North Charleston next week, and Moncks Corner the week after. I'll know exactly where to find him, too. Firmly planted in the center circle, 50 yards from the call he misses.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Two different things, and a lousy analogy.

1) Excellence SHOULD be recognized with all-region, COY-type honors. Mediocrity (or worse) SHOULD NOT (and is not) recognized.

2) Adult officials are not competing with each other to win or lose; they are attempting to reach an objective standard of officiating. Comparing their job with coaches' and (especially) players' is a reach.

3) A player/coach can do a great job and lose! Happens all the time. Officials who do a lousy job can affect outcomes.

4) When a player doesn't meet expectations, he may see less playing time. A coach? May be replaced. High school soccer officials? Where's the accountability? Everyone -- especially the players -- knows who the bad ones are. But I'll bet, the guy I saw in Beaufort last week will be in North Charleston next week, and Moncks Corner the week after. I'll know exactly where to find him, too. Firmly planted in the center circle, 50 yards from the call he misses.

Hyperbole can be a great asset...or a lousy liability.

B
brace
brace
B
Or just plain true.

I'll ask again ... where's the accountability?

brace
brace
Quote:

An official can do a great job and still impact the outcome of a game too, and it happens in all sports all the time. Every Ref will make "bad" calls in just about every game, they can not see everything all the time. A fan in the stands can see a lot a ref on the pitch can not; grabbing from behind, pushing in a crowd, ect. The ref has to call the game he sees not what the fans sees, and IMHO that is often a big part of the "Boy did our ref stink" gripe.

Too often people are critical of the refs but have never done the job. Like most everything in life it is easier to stand back and make "the right call" when your not under pressure.

Maybe the purpose of this thread would be better served if we recognized the good refs and what they did that made them stand out!
Hard part for many is that they forget that when a ref does a good job he tends to disappear when you look back at the game, becasue he/she set the tone/limits for the game with the calls and the players understood and it was their play you remember.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard