Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Georgia avoids this issue by going from U-17 to U-19 (no U-18). Nobody falls through the cracks. However this does create an opportunity to stack a roster with college players (although I don't think this is abused).

Great I can see 10 CESA teams vs 10 SCUFC Teams duke it out in 2 year age bracket.

My bet is that CESA H team comes in last. What do you think?

hat-trick
hat-trick
I'll bet that NC and GA began classifying U19 because teams with U19 players requested it. There probably hasn't been a request made to the SCYSA. If you have a player in this situation, I would contact SCYSA/League (SCSCL or PMSL) and ask if they would provide a place for a U19 team by listing the U18 division as U19 instead.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Not looking for a U-19 "team". Looking for waivers for the very few high school seniors that are in this situation, so that they can play U-18.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
U19 instead of U18 seems like the easy way top go, then no one has to do waivers but I wonder what problems this would create with college kids playing against HS kids? For example what conduct problems (cards)carry over from club to school ball?

Playing Devils advocate here what will be the uproar the first time a college aged player takes out HS star player (intentional or not). I am sure there are other concerns that would be raised.

I am with Hurst, thinking that a select few would need the waivers and the case basis method would be the best way to go.

Last edited by The Chief; 04/05/11 12:49 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Not looking for a U-19 "team". Looking for waivers for the very few high school seniors that are in this situation, so that they can play U-18.

Even with an waiver for SCYSA league play, they would not be allowed to play in the U18 state cup or regionals or nationals with an over-age player. They could, however, play as a U19 team in the U19 state cup, regionals, or nationals. I don't see USYSA ever granting a waiver for an overaged player to play "down" an age group in the state, regional, or national championships.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

U19 instead of U18 seems like the easy way top go, then no one has to do waivers but I wonder what problems this would create with college kids playing against HS kids? For example what conduct problems (cards)carry over from club to school ball?

Playing Devils advocate here what will be the uproar the first time a college aged player takes out HS star player (intentional or not). I am sure there are other concerns that would be raised.

I am with Hurst, thinking that a select few would need the waivers and the case basis method would be the best way to go.

I don't think Hurst was speaking of college kids. He was referring to high school seniors whose 18th birthday is before the August 1 cutoff set by USYSA.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
That's a fair trade. Agree that the player should not be eligible for U-18 state, regional or national cup play.

.....but let the player participate during the regular season and allow the team to qualify for state cup play (minus the overage player).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
I think it would be alright, but if its SCSCL, what about the 9th place team that thinks they would have qualified for State Cup as the 8th seed if the overage player had not been allowed to play? Yes, I know an 8 seed has probably never made it to the final, but I guess there's always a first time and someone is bound to complain.

I think it should be fine in PMSL since all PMSL teams are eligible to play in the President's Medal Cup and seeding is only used for cup pairings.

brace
brace
Yes I agreed with him, I was just pointing out that the GA answer "sounded" good but that it left some holes that some people would find reasons to drive thru and complain as there will always be those opposed to change or things that will "hurt" the chance for their team to win, as pointed out with the 8th seed situation. My hope would be that the focus would be on doing what is right for the HS eligible players.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Coach P makes a valid point; while the U19 players wouldn't directly affect the outcome of State Cup, they could potentially affect the seeding. I would like to see the U19 high school players have an opportunity to play, though. I have a girl in that situation even now; due to events from years ago, she is a year older than her classmates and will miss the cutoff to play U18 her senior year, although she is still eligible to play on the HS team.

PMSL could be a good place to start addressing this issue; as Coach P points out, a team's success in the PMSL season with the U19 player would not affect their or anyone else's eligibility to compete in the PMSL Cup. I think a lot of PMSL players have a focus on training and preparing for their high school seasons; this would allow those seniors access to a team to train and compete with in the fall season even if they would not be able to compete in State Cup, which would leave them much better prepared for a good senior season at their high schools. Most of all, I think players should have the opportunity to play--there should be an outlet for those who haven't graduated and entered college yet to play their sport in the fall season.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard