Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

How many times have I heard......that the number one responsibility of the referee is player safety?

I'm not sure how you relate the described activities by a "patron" and "so called Adults" to player safety. The referee can't, and is not supposed to, control the behavior of the fans. If activities that are dangerous to players threaten to spill onto the field (like throwing stadium chairs), the referee can stop play until the administrator (or security or police) restores order. As a referee I have had to stop play when spectators' actions disrupted the game. I simply told the coach that the game would not recommence until he or the site administrator stop the behavior or removed the people causing the disturbance.

bench
bench
Totally agree Big Daddy. If you are known for being an "aggressive" team and cards were issued, then refs should look closer. How can ANY REF within eyeshot not see a girl picked up and slammed??? Should I be teaching this to my 9 year old soccer team that it is part of soccer or did the refs decide to let it play out despite a the smallest player on the field flying thru the air. Did you think she was gearing up for a bicycle kick??? I am baffled how a ref can miss it and not to mention how a ref can get on a public forum and say a team was whining. Isn't that a conflict of interests, you ref a game, then rip the team afterwards. I hope you are not assigned to Clover anymore since you have a preconceieved notion about them.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I don't agree that the referee is exempt from controlling off field behavior. I have seen referees stop games and threaten parents with expulsion for persistent abusive language. And it was the right thing to do.

Stop the game, yes. Threaten or get into discussions with parents or fans, no. That is the responsibility of the school officials. If they can't control things, then the referee's only recourse is the abandon the match.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Coach,

If we're in the middle of an emotional, heated, overly physical game.....and the temperatures off the field are now reaching the point to where adults are screaming at kids and throwing stuff out onto the field.....you don't think there is a chance of that escalating a mob mentality of behaviour on the field? I do.

Also....I don't want or expect a referee to maintain any sort of dialogue whatsoever with parents. In fact...it always annoys me when a referee so obliges the parents.

What I want.......is for the referee to be aware of his/her environment.....and if necessary, warn those off the field if their behaviour is interfering with the integrity of the game. If they do not heed his/her warning he should stop the game until the offending persons are removed from the premises.

Thats not a dialogue. Its taking ownership of what happens and its absolutely the hallmark of a good referee. You can't stop people from acting like jerks and fools. But you can keep it from becoming a part of the game and effecting the game.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Totally agree Big Daddy. If you are known for being an "aggressive" team and cards were issued, then refs should look closer. How can ANY REF within eyeshot not see a girl picked up and slammed??? Should I be teaching this to my 9 year old soccer team that it is part of soccer or did the refs decide to let it play out despite a the smallest player on the field flying thru the air. Did you think she was gearing up for a bicycle kick??? I am baffled how a ref can miss it and not to mention how a ref can get on a public forum and say a team was whining. Isn't that a conflict of interests, you ref a game, then rip the team afterwards. I hope you are not assigned to Clover anymore since you have a preconceieved notion about them.

Realist did not say anyone was "whining". He said they were the team questioning calls or no-calls.

As far as I can tell, Realist is the only neutral party who was there and who has described the situation on this forum. We should thank him, instead of criticizing him, for giving us a neutral recounting of the events. Everyone else that has described "assault", "slammin", dirty play, etc, is associated with one of the teams and definitely will see things in the light of their teams. As has been said on this message board plenty of times, the way a game played out or whether a referee call was correct typically depends entirely on which team you pull for.

I have recently been to several games between teams that I had no connection to so that I was a completely neutral party. The fans around me were all for one team and were apparently watching a different game than the one I saw. They saw fouls I didn't see, didn't see fouls I saw, and saw "blatant, intentional, hitting & shoving" that was not on the field I was watching.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach,

If we're in the middle of an emotional, heated, overly physical game.....and the temperatures off the field are now reaching the point to where adults are screaming at kids and throwing stuff out onto the field.....you don't think there is a chance of that escalating a mob mentality of behaviour on the field? I do.

Also....I don't want or expect a referee to maintain any sort of dialogue whatsoever with parents. In fact...it always annoys me when a referee so obliges the parents.

What I want.......is for the referee to be aware of his/her environment.....and if necessary, warn those off the field if their behaviour is interfering with the integrity of the game. If they do not heed his/her warning he should stop the game until the offending persons are removed from the premises.

Thats not a dialogue. Its taking ownership of what happens and its absolutely the hallmark of a good referee. You can't stop people from acting like jerks and fools. But you can keep it from becoming a part of the game and effecting the game.

In referee training, I was always taught not to do what you are describing. Stop the match and let the coach or school official handle that. Verbal communication with a spectator about their behavior can lead to all sorts of problems.

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
Quote:

How can ANY REF within eyeshot not see a girl picked up and slammed??? I am baffled how a ref can miss it and not to mention how a ref can get on a public forum and say a team was whining. Isn't that a conflict of interests, you ref a game, then rip the team afterwards. I hope you are not assigned to Clover anymore since you have a preconceieved notion about them.

Again, words are being put into my mouth. I did not say Clover was whinning. I said the Clover players were questioning every call and non call. And I do not have a preconceived notion about them. As far as the injured player being picked up and slammed to the ground, I don't believe that. I was ten yard away and I would have seen something like that.

bench
bench
Nope, this stuff was off the field but during the game. Chair was thrown within the first few minutes of the game when Lancaster received their first yellow card. That set the tone, it just got progressively worse. I'm not a legal expert but there is some term for a crowd cheering on an illegal crime adding to the intensity of an event. These kids thought they were PLEASING their fans. That's what really makes all of this so SAD, WRONG and SCARY.

bench
bench
I just really think that as a ref, you should not mention what other teams do and not do. Again, conflict of interest. To think it is one thing, but to post is another. I know they are opinions, but an official at any level or sport should not be commenting on certain teams.. IMHO

brace
brace
If it was a WWF quality body slam, then no I would guess it could not be missed. However if everyone is running/jumping around on a corner kick, and I am sure both sides were shoving and tugging alot cause everyone does on corners, and a player who jumped up was grabbed and push by another player in the crowd well... Refs are trying to watch alot of things during these kicks and a lot of fouls get missed.

Perspective here is key to remember those in the stands have a great crowd view from some what 3/4 above, the ref is level with looking thru crowd, while sideline is watching goal line thru a moving cluster. Oh and you tend to see your players being hit/fouled by them it is human nature.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard