The 2002 game had remarkable similarities as this game sets up for Saturday. I am almost positive Irmo entered the game unbeaten and ranked #1 nationally while Wando had 3 or 4 losses(one of them to us at Fort D-one of our biggest wins ever).
About 10 mins into the second half,Irmo went up 2-0 as the Wando keeper(long blonde hair) slipped trying to react to a nice shot from range which did find the net. Wando got one back about 15 mins from time, but with about 6 or 7 mins left, Irmo started to launch balls out of bounds--several left Memorial Stadium. The last few mins the center ref pointed to his watch reacting to coaches asking for time (as if to say to the Irmo bench, time was being added). It was rather heated the last couple of mins and Wando tied the game and still a minute or so was played on the re-start.
The first two overtimes were very even, but many players and Irmo fans(in my opinion) were too concerned that the game was in overtime.
During the first(I believe) sudden death 5 min OT,Wando scored from a nice header delivered from a corner, and so ended one of the most exciting high school matches I have ever seen.