Backscreen...have you seen all the girls play? Maybe you can create a list so we can really understand who are the best in the state!!

In all ranking systems there can be arguments about who should be number one or number eight. I don't know if you watch ESPN, but you can switch it on and watch paid professionals argue about the BCS, March Madness seeds etc. Bottom line is everyone has opinions, but the fact is these rankings are pretty good.

If you know anything at all about girl's soccer and these girls you might understand. I have personally seen 17 of the top 20 this year and 19 out of twenty in the past couple years. Like I said earlier there can always be a discrepancy between rankings, but let me shed a little light.

Number 1: Sara Manesiotis won the state championship in 3A soccer as well as the Viking Cup all the in the same year. If you don’t know there once was something known the “Viking Cup Curse” which illustrates just how hard it is to do. I think only two other schools (Riverside and Wando) have completed this task. Though Sara has lettered in multiple sports at Hilton Head; she was still able to make all-region, all-state, Clash and the Viking Cup All Tournament team in soccer alone. But the goal Sara scored in the state championship game is easily her star to fame. That goal was the best goal of all of Friday’s contests and was easily second best for the whole weekend (sorry Sara, FM’s first goal was SICK). This goal will not only be the last thing we remember about Hilton Head’s Sara Manesiotis, but it also was the winning goal of the 2011 3A State Championship!!!

Number 2: Amelia Henderson is the starting goalkeeper for WANDO! If you don’t know who Wando is they are not only a low-country powerhouse, but also a State’s. Not to mention Mauldin’s worse nightmare!! As a senior, Amelia Henderson captured three State Championships in the last four years. No small task for a net minder. Henderson finished with 20 shut-outs (I think) including one in the STATE CHAMPIOSNHIP! She is an all-region, all-state, Viking Cup all-tournament team and Clash player. And the only game Amelia lost as a senior…the Viking Cup semifinal game to no other then Hilton Head Island. I know what you might be thinking…maybe she isn’t that great and just has good players in front of her; WRONG! The state championship summed that up, where she came up big several times for the lady warriors including taking a knee to the head.

Number 3: Gracieeeeeeee Boswell! 3 Upper state titles and one state championship in Boswell’s resume is defiantly not too shabby. Literally can play any position on the field; I know this because I watched with my own two eyes as she played forward for most of her career, but wasn’t afraid to take the helm of the defense in the 2011 Viking Cup. Gracie is easily a state wide favorite because of her easy going attitude, but lethal goal scoring ability. Just ask Riverside who put their 4A state championship hopes to rest! In Mav country the girl is a legend. She will also be joining the first two on the list at the Clash in July! Boswell is an all-state, all-region, all tournament team selection for the Viking Cup (two years and two different positions). And you would be happy to know that all bloggers of the scsoccer message board can watch Gracie in action under the Video thread of the Upper state championship!

If you want to know about any of the rest of the rankings I will try my hardest to help. Please Backscreen don’t take these comments too literally because I am not a professional nor am I any of the team’s statistician.

And no I did not mention anything about club ball…this is the high school thread!!

**I also apologize if I left any awards out from the players bios, feel free to add!