"Soccer is not an American-driven game. [Elsewhere] soccer is all global," says U.S. national team coach Juergen Klinsmann, who grew up in the German club system. "It's 11 months a year. You might get three or four weeks off. That's it. So if a kid goes to college [in the U.S.] and plays a three-month season, he loses eight months compared to all the other kids the same age."

Sooo...if college participation is a problem, why have 14-18 year olds play ten month seasons just to achieve a 3 month college one? A 22 year old emerges from the college system having played 12 months of high level games in 4 years. His global counterpart has played 40 months in 4 years. If this is the problem, then the Development Academy should be a 10 month league geared for players who are 18-22 and who choose not to play for college (note I did not say forego college). The players would be more mature and be able drive themselves and...oh nevermind...I just realized it might be harder to squeeze money from parents of a 20 year old than a 16 year old. And for a second there I was concerned about making soccer better rather than profit. My bad.

Last edited by T Robinson; 03/07/12 03:08 PM.