Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
J
Brace
Brace
J
Because referees that are seasoned know that it is much easier to let the players ask for it to not interrupt the flow of play on a quick restart....

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

It's really quite simple. During the pre-game meeting with the captains, you TELL them that the 10-yard rule will be enforced with ONE warning, followed thereafter by cards for OBVIOUS non-compliance. Each team gets one warning ONLY. And you make sure the coaches get the message.

If you REALLY want that to eliminate the dawdling and encroachment, you make the penalty a yellow card to the head coach of the offending team.

Ahh the captains.

99% of the time captains do not care at all about what you say in your pre-game talk to them, they never go back to the team and tell them what you said. All they care about is who gets the ball and what side they have first. In my games, I call them together, shake hands, and just tell the away captain to call the toss. That's it. There is no obligation in the rules for the captain to tell their teammates what to do or what not to do, and often times the biggest pain on a team is one of the captains. Twenty years ago when I first did high school games, I had a fight break out between two captains at the coin toss.

Verbal warnings for obvious encroachment are unnecessary also. If I have to give a warning for that, I have to give a warning for every type of foul and misconduct before I penalize for it. Players who play the game are expected to know the rules. Just Donovan McNabb about overtime.

Also you can only give the coach a card for bench misconduct or misconduct you can not attribute to a player. An AR running down the line gets spit on by a player he does not see on the bench, the coach gets the red.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Aargy...what it that you actually enjoy about officiating high school soccer?

I've got good news and bad news...
B
brace
brace
B
arrgy: Who administers the captains meeting? You. So set the tone. Make clear your position, and TELL the captains to inform their coaches. As for carding the coach, the original statement was meant to imply a rule CHANGE. Sorry that wasn't clear.

world cup
world cup
Backscreen,

Next time you are on an airplane, pay attention to all of the pre-flight announcements that are made prior to take off.

Same old story, heard it once, heard it a thousand times. In one ear and out the other.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
to back up arrgy & hursts point. if you ask most experienced middle & high school teachers what your teen is thinking, the correct answer is usually nothing.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Doesn't mean we stop encouraging them to think. We're as responsible for our part as they are for theirs, and any negligence of their responsibility doesn't absolve us of ours. We are the adults, after all, or so we pride ourselves in thinking.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Doesn't mean we stop encouraging them to think. We're as responsible for our part as they are for theirs, and any negligence of their responsibility doesn't absolve us of ours. We are the adults, after all, or so we pride ourselves in thinking.

yes, i agree & i don't get the negativity towards arrgy, i really think everyones on the same wavelength all things considered.
real life meet theory....adjust.

B
brace
brace
B
As someone who has coached high school-aged kids -- boys and girls, in a variety of public and private school settings -- I can tell you that communication is NEVER a problem for those adults who do so with respect. In theory, the kids selected as captains are chosen for a reason: their leadership skills, ability to communicate with officials, responsibility, etc. For an adult to simply ASSUME they can't or won't listen clarifies the issue entirely. Why even have referees if you assume the kids just won't listen?
What a lousy attitude for a responsible adult to take.

I
goal
goal
I
As a father, of a daughter, who toes the line as a captain... If you tell them their team will get a card for xy and or z, which is not the normal stuff, she/they will tell their team.

Since the 10 yard thing is never a straight card, give them the chance to communicate that.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard