OP Offline
Goal
Girls - U-15 or Boys - U-14

eMnAvA #155913 04/16/12 11:42 AM
C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Well the u14 boys are getting to that age where they are trying to figure out where they belong from a status standpoint. Attitudes start to form, but this is the critical age when they either still love the game or not. Keep the game fun for them and make sure that they don't see it as a waste of time. If you can do that, the boys will stay and respect you. If the practices are boring or they think they can be doing something else, you will lose them. BUT.....don't put up with any crap from the 1 or 2 kids who are trying to be the "cool guy". Set the standard early.
I can't really help with the u15 girls because I never coached that age, but from a year younger, they will act more like a team. Get them bonded early so you can have all of them working for a common cause. Very brittle at that age.

coachb #155914 04/16/12 01:45 PM
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I haven't coached a girls club team, but having coached varsity girls and JV boys and a boys club team around that age, I would prefer working with the girls. Just personal preference. I have seen the above generalities between the groups play out as described. There are always a few exceptions. Having said all of that, it really depends on the individuals and, in club ball, the parents !

B
brace
brace
B
In my experience coaching both genders, my best advice is to be true to yourself, regardless of the gender you're coaching. Set clear, well-defined goals for performance in training and matches, and stick to them, fairly and firmly. Demonstrate that you care about them, and demonstrate through your own performance the kind of work ethic and commitment you expect from them.
What I've found is that the best girls' teams often play and interact in a stereotypically "male" way, while the best boys' teams often exhibit a "kinder, gentler" side with teammates. In other words, the stereotypes are often just that, and nothing more.
Regardless of sport/gender, 3 basic "John Wooden Rules" apply nicely.
1) Always be on time -- player AND coaches.
2) No profanity.
3) We don't criticize each other's performance in public, and seldom in private.
After that, all the gender differences have a funny way of working themselves out, with one modest proviso. When coaching girls, I always wanted at least one female assistant, more as a positive role model that as an inter-gender liaison.
Good luck, whichever path you choose.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard