Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Bottom line is, if your good athlete / soccer player they will find you. I know 3 girls who left CESA after their junior year. 2 are playing D1 at Gardner Webb, they played with my daughter and a couple others who left CESA premier after their junior year to play for Tri County Soccer in Piedmont. Yes, Piedmont,SC.(not many college coaches coming to Piedmont,SC) and they are a very big part of their college program. Another didn't play club soccer at all her senior year,she only played HS soccer for a very good HS soccer program her senior year. She not only contributes to Presbyterians college program, she made the Big South all-freshman team. The Big South is not the ACC, but it is at the same level or higher as the SOCON and other colleges on the list. So you can play for any club in the state and not have to travel all over the country to have a college coach look at you.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I just looked at the stats for Gardner Webb last season. 26 players made appearances in the 19 game season. One of the players mentioned above did play in all 19, I believe as a midfielder. She took 7 shots and scored 2 goals with 0 assists. The other appeared in 7 games. They won 6 of their 19 games.

Presbyterian had 4 wins in 19 matches. The player mentioned above started 18 games scoring 3 goals with 3 assists.

On another note, I know that this conversation has gone more towards college exposure. But I've always been told that the competition is the main reason for playing in the ECNL. I believe I may have even made the point on here before about CASL and CSA putting their 2nd teams in last years premier league at U-15 while their top teams played in ECNL. Regardless of where you go to play in college or how much money you get (or don't get), how would you prepare? By playing CASL's top team twice, home and away? Or by playing their 2nd team once? Would you play 8-9 games in the premier league plus tournaments? Or 16 games in the ECNL plus national events? As stated before by many others, the choice is clearly up to the individual. Both are available in SC depending on which club you play for. And yes, the state-wide league and HS are certainly options as well when preparing for a college career.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Very true gbdawgs. You don't need to play top club soccer or ECNL to have a college coach look at you. It certainly helps, and of course, the players you are talking about played top level CESA until they were U18. That's may have been part of why they were good and how they were seen. But as has been pointed out, it certainly isn't for everyone.

But if the player has the drive and wants to maximize their options, ECNL is the obvious path.

It will be interesting to see how things change as ECNL progresses. The ECNL is only entering it's fourth year. As of now, I think the rising 18s have 8 commits, only two in SC, both of those in D1, one in the SEC. I think the rest are out of state.

How does that compare to prior years? Are we seeing a change or is it similar?

D
Goal
Goal
D
1. Not to argue against the ECNL experience (my daughter also enjoyed her's), but to make a technical point...

Quote:

...At our last ECNL game in Sanford FL, there were over 70 coaches watching our girls perform. It's been a while since I've seen that number of coaches roaming the sidelines at a Premier game.

...Do Premier league games usually have coaches from the University of Pennsylvania, University of Richmond, and Columbus State University in attendance? I know the ECNL events did.

Comparison of coaches' attendance at ECNL events with Premier league games may be apples and oranges. Better comparison (my opinion) would be Sanford ECNL attendance compared to Disney, and Premier league game attendance to ECNL league game attendance. I really don't know, but were 70 coaches including UPenn and Richmond at MeSA for your ECNL league games with Atlanta and Concorde? (BTW, congrats to the player going to UPenn, absolutely incredible school but $50k+/yr Ivy League... no athletic scholarships. Obviously matches her formidable performance on the field with similar performance in the classroom. Always a winning combination.)

2. ECNL vs. Premier League? Been down that road before maybe a little too often, so I thought I'd leave the thread by quoting an excerpt from what I thought was a pretty good interview with Coach Hyslop by Soccer America regarding the recent accomplishments of Mr. Velasquez at Real Salt Lake. I don't think the strategies for player development are necessarily gender specific, so feel free to substitute "ECNL" for "Academy" as you read...

Quote:

... but when Hyslop hears talk that the only pathway to soccer success lies with the Development Academy, or that certain college coaches turn away from evaluating players based on what league they compete in, he points to Velasquez as a reminder that players “get where they want to go in a variety of ways.”

“I think the Academy is a viable, great option, but at the same time, we’re also providing provide [sic] opportunities and developing players,” says Hyslop. “There’s no cookie-cutter guaranteed way to do that. I certainly don’t have all the answers. With the size of the country, it’s inevitable there’s going to be different avenues to reach a goal.”

Hyslop believes youth soccer, with the rise of the Development Academy and its increased influence -- which includes discouraging of high school play -- is at a crossroads.

“It’s not about Sebastian Velasquez,” he says. “It’s not about Carolina Elite Academy. It’s not necessarily about the USSF Academy. It’s really about taking a look and asking can we make sure we develop every possible player in this country? There’s more than one way to do it.

“We have to decide, are we going recognize everybody? Or are we only going to recognize some?

“It makes good sense to cast the net far and wide.”

The complete text of the Soccer America article can be read at...
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/46063/different-paths-to-stardom-sebastians-story.html

Now, Sebastion Velasquez is a truly gifted player as is his teammate at RSL, Enzo Martinez. The fact that in the same year one was drafted from a junior college, Spartanburg Methodist, and the other from UNC tends to further support the point Coach Hyslop is making in the article... that players "get where they want to go in a variety of ways.

The point from the article that most caught my attention and agreement was... "It’s really about taking a look and asking can we make sure we develop every possible player in this country? There’s more than one way to do it."

Last edited by DeltaDog; 04/24/12 09:23 AM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Delta, The million dollar question is ....

During the delightful recruiting wars that manifest throughout Tryouts, is this the same song and dance parents of potential players will hear?

This applies to all clubs and programs.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

I just looked at the stats for Gardner Webb last season. 26 players made appearances in the 19 game season. One of the players mentioned above did play in all 19, I believe as a midfielder. She took 7 shots and scored 2 goals with 0 assists. The other appeared in 7 games. They won 6 of their 19 games.

Presbyterian had 4 wins in 19 matches. The player mentioned above started 18 games scoring 3 goals with 3 assists.

On another note, I know that this conversation has gone more towards college exposure. But I've always been told that the competition is the main reason for playing in the ECNL. I believe I may have even made the point on here before about CASL and CSA putting their 2nd teams in last years premier league at U-15 while their top teams played in ECNL. Regardless of where you go to play in college or how much money you get (or don't get), how would you prepare? By playing CASL's top team twice, home and away? Or by playing their 2nd team once? Would you play 8-9 games in the premier league plus tournaments? Or 16 games in the ECNL plus national events? As stated before by many others, the choice is clearly up to the individual. Both are available in SC depending on which club you play for. And yes, the state-wide league and HS are certainly options as well when preparing for a college career.

For just an average "everyday" type of parent, Harry sure does seem to know a lot. Hmmmmm...

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
DJ Harry spinning again You keep bashing RPL and how low the competition is, but all your teams played in it this past year. You keep bringing up the CASL's and CSA's second teams and how mediocre those must be since they are not their top choice kids, and yet your ECNL team managed a 4-0 loss and 1-1 tie when you played them. Everyone loves great competition, but for you to say that there isn't enough of it in any other league but the one you are a member of is a slight stretch.

H
brace
brace
H
I will be honest in saying that the ecnl B league is not much better than the region III league. You have the top few teams in ecnl B that are real good just like you have Fla teams in region III that are real good. The difference is that in ecnl B you have alot more middle of the road teams and you play more games.

C
bench
bench
C
Questoin? How many times have the girls won the region III League.

corner kick
corner kick
The cost of all kids extra curricular activities is expensive. Go talk to a parent who's kid does Dance, Beauty padgets, Baseball, Travel Volleyball. It is all expensive. I don't see CESA twisting any arms to get players to play. I have been on both sides of the street one who played and left her senior year to play for another club as her choice. And I supported that decision. I have another playing ECNL and loves it. And I support that. I've been here since the old Challenge & classic leagues 10 years ago through the Premier league and now the ECNL. I hate the expenses but I would not trade the soccer weekends with my kids for nothing. Some people choose to do other sports or the college football weekends. I'm sure they would not trade those experiences either. If you don't want to play ECNL.......don't. And that's OK.

That there is an RV Clark......
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard