In '08, I did a research paper based on Title IX for a graduate course I was taking at the time. Yes, I picked a topic that was relevant to what I do!

I came across some interesting findings in my research, including the following:

An OppenheimerFunds survey of 401 "Highly Successful American Women" showed that 82% of the women polled played sports in junior high, high school, and/or college. They stated that team activities helped them learn to succeed in a competitive work environment.

Surveys have shown that only 17% of women across all earning levels describe themselves as "athletic," but 41% of women in the higher income brackets--$75,000 and more--describe themselves as "athletic."

A study by the University of Virginia found that 80% of female leaders in Fortune 500 companies participated in school sports.

Do these statistics prove that participating in school sports will make girls successful? No.

Do they provide enough evidence of a correlation to support the idea that athleticism and participation in team sports in school provide an advantage to women as they enter the career world? I'd say so.

Does providing that advantage for our young people mean that it's an area worth our schools' investment?

I'd say so.

I've got good news and bad news...