Context, perspective, and self interest are amazing attributes in this debate. Good people with opinions 180 degrees apart.

In the Charlotte article......Frock is the EDOC of Charlotte United and the head coach at Providence Day. All of his public words on the topic are, for lack of a better word, negative....concerning the Academy. My son was/is a 93 who played for Charlotte United at u14...this was also the first year of Academy.

One of our players...left in early November to go to one of the new Academy teams in Charlotte. Frock got the parents of my sons team together after a game at Ramblewood park......and talked about Academy. Basically his take was....so few kids play colleg soccer or pro soccer that its a waste of time and money to chase a dream that won';t be there.

Then there's Jeff Mercado.....who is a longtime coach at Charlotte Soccer Club, now CSA. An Academy club. Jeff is also a teacher and head boys coach and head girls coach at Ardrey Kell HS in suburban South Charlotte. His teams compete for State championships every year on both sides of HS and he will lose 4-6 Academy players. Frock will also lose a couple.

For me personally.....to accept an argument I have to understand the persons context, perspective, and self interest. I'm not saying that everyone is driven exclusively by them......but its pretty hard to ignore them also.

In the Charleston article...the specter of politics was raised. To ignore the role of politics in where folks stand on this debate, is simply ludicrous, IMO. A coach losing very talented kids who form the core of his team will have a different perspective than a parent or a coach from a team with none. To assume otherwise is just not very likely.

Doesn't make them wrong or right.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 07/15/12 05:54 PM.