Quote:

Hi Kyle: A fair point about the Palmetto Cup, though having been there, I'd say your list represents total attendance, over multiple days and matches. I've been at several PC matches over the last 3 years where no college coaches were in attendance. Not a knock, 'cause it's a great tournament!
As to regular-season matches ... you see my point.
I'd also add that, anyone BOY who chooses affiliation based on exposure to college coaches is kidding himself. Very, very few domestic male NCAA Division I college soccer players receive more than fractional grant-in-aid support ... especially as freshmen. In general, those who receive support initially attracted attention as 12-13-year-olds in club and camp environments BEFORE THEY PLAYED A MINUTE OF HIGH SCHOOL (OR ACADEMY) SOCCER.
Continued development in those environments merely confirms skill and commitment levels. That's why the REAL issue FOR THOSE KIDS is development; i.e., the best environment to maximize potential. With no more than a handful of exceptions in our state, boys' high school soccer does not provide that type of competitive training environment.
That's not a knock on high school soccer, which can be a great experience in many important ways. That's why many reasonable people support letting kids do BOTH.

My son played for North Meck Academy. His jr year of HS we played NC Fusion in Greensboro at Bryan Park stadium field. Just a regular season game. At that game were national team coaches.....multiple Wake Forest coaches, UNC coaches, NC State coaches, Elon coaches, etc etc etc. This was just a game.....not a tournament. While that was a little bit extreme, I don't ever recall a game he played when there wasn't multiple D1 coaches in attendance. By contrast, in 3 years of R3PL play...I don't ever recall seeing a coach at a game. I'm sure someone was there, just can't say I ever saw them.

Why? No clue. Maybe becasue R3 is in season for colleges. Maybe the level of play isn't as good. No idea why.....only know what I saw.