Isn't it possible to possess the ball and work on the attack? Use the opportunity to work on timing of runs, beating offsides, passing etc., then bring the ball down and shoot wide or over the top. It's doesn't have to be keep away. You can still work on what needs to be worked on to win the big game.

My question is, if it becomes about stats, scoring and recognition, do the players lose sight of what they will need to do to win the bigger games? Do they play the game the way it should be played or do they simply run it forward as far as they can and shoot? Are players taking 15 shots instead of passing it off to the player that actually has the shot? Having not seen a Mann game, I have no idea. But, we all know you can still score a lot of goals while playing bad soccer against weaker teams, and that type soccer won't go nearly as far against a better team and a better defense. Only time will tell if this will help or hurt in the long run.

It's up to each coach to decide how to handle this, but I do think there are ways to work on possession and attack without scoring as many goals as you possibly can.