I personally hate being on the same side as the other team, and i do think that separating the fans is a good idea, BUT the focus should be a quality field to produce the highest quality games and true champions! I appreciate Gilbert stepping up, but if the dimensions are correct, it would be a disgrace and make a mockery of the game to have the state finals on a field <60 yards wide. I really liked Memorial Stadium.

In a year when we are struggling to find the "best" field/stadium combination to host the final, should we really be married to a Columbia area school hosting the game? Should we not send out feelers all over the state to find the best place to host?

What about Wando? Does Hilton Head have seating on both sides? What about Dorman, Spartanburg? Is there still a large stadium in Anderson District 5 where TL Hanna is? Would it be worth contacting Clemson about using Riggs? I even wonder what Jerome would think if we proposed a stadium that only had one side that was not Stone Stadium... like the turf stadium in Rock Hill.

Yes, it is true, none of those are great options for someone. For instance, if Socastee or Myrtle Beach make the final and have to travel to Anderson, that would suck... actually, what do the stadiums at Myrtle and Socastee look like?? Maybe we could play there. Could we find a central location that has two stadiums to reduce wear and tear on the field... for instance, the girls finals at West Ashley High and the boys finals at Wando? Do we need to ask schools about only hosting one of the State Finals series? I'm sure ADs are concerned about fields being torn up.

The question begins to arise about what is more important to us as coaches-- play the game at a Columbia area school to ensure maximum attendance and concession sales or find a school that will ensure a better game.

With all due respect to the kids in the All-Star games (and we have 3 players in the boys games), i would like to see the focus THIS YEAR be on how to produce the best state finals games and not how to raise the most money for the All-Star games.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School