Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Pjay: Not bragging about anything. If anything, the Wando boys have underachieved in recent seasons. One state championship since the early 2000s? And with this giant enrollment. Wow.
The fact remains:
Competitive interscholastic sports is an EARNED privilege; not an enrollment-based entitlement.
(And tons of extraordinary people have somehow muddled through life without making a single high school team.)

who exactly & what topic are you arguing with that ridiculus strawman argument?
why don't you just give us another 3rd grade self helper again. you're 20 posts in & I guess you're just gonna keep glossing over & avoiding the fact of mt pleasant residents getting shortchanged in high school athletics by having one big school vs two, like most communities this size. it might also seem that we're probably not getting our fair share of the county school district pie by having one big school & saving the county $ with economies of scale. again, your position is baffling. maybe you're not a mt. p resident which would at least make sense of your lame shuck & jive argument I guess.

B
brace
brace
B
To the contrary, I'm a longtime resident of Mount P, where I chose to reside in large part because of the schools and the opportunities they presented -- REGARDLESS OF THEIR SIZE.
As I've said repeatedly, I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that Mt. P can use another H.S. I simply point out, again, that, interscholastic athletic opportunity is about 10th in line when it comes to logical reasons to spend $50 million on a new H.S.
My reasoning is simple enough for even you to understand. Interscholastic sports is not an entitlement, but a hard-earned privilege. The only opportunity a high school should present is that of trying out. From there, it's up to each individual kid to make the most of the opportunity.
Now, I don't disagree that making the boys' varsity soccer team at Wando is hard -- as it SHOULD be, for a program that claims to be a perennial state championship contender.
But nobody should complain about lack of opportunity at a school where well over 30% of the kids play one interscholastic sport or another AND there are plenty of options available (BE, AMHS, FB, PCA, Pinewood, P-G, etc).
Finally, you may want to take a look at the current SCHSL realignment proposal elsewhere on this site and see how enrollment translates (or doesn't necessarily translate) into advantage on the playing field.
When somebody makes a compelling case that Mt. P kids' academic opportunity, or health, or safety is being compromised by Wando's size ... you won't get a single argument from me.
That ain't shuck-and-jive. It's just an honorable position that considers something more than "simple math."

S
goal
goal
S
sooo, took another pass on the issue huh, in favor of another strawman argument. give us all another self help bumper sticker quote. lecture us dummies on how to raise kids. lecture us on cost of another school. more diatribes on what a great school wando is, remind us mt pleasant residents that we can always pay county taxes & pay BE tuition or truck em up to Magnet to play sports...but couldn't get around to addressing the issue of mt pleasant residents getting the short end of the stick on high school athletics, weird. the richest community in the county that contributes more than their fair share per capita in county taxes cant have the same as the rest of the county/state as far as high school athletics is concerned....give us dummies another off topic lecture.

B
brace
brace
B
I have responded to your overly simplistic perspective, based purely on enrollment numbers, that Mt. P kids are somehow getting "the short end of the stick," by pointing out all of the other elements/options of the issue (opportunity to try out at Wando; opportunity to play other sports, such as lacrosse, which aren't widely offered elsewhere; opportunity at other schools; etc.).
I've pointed out that parents should consider the entire picture (quantity and quality of academic offerings) when criticizing a situation that, in many instances, they've constructively chosen for their children.
I look at interscholastic athletics at Wando, and I don't see a major issue based on enrollment. Nor would I have complained if my kid hadn't made the soccer team. I would have encouraged him to improve, try again, and/or try another sport or activity, OF WHICH THERE ARE PLENTY AT WANDO.
The enrollment/opportunity issue is legitimate in MANY ways. Athletic/extracurricular opportunity is not among them. That's simply a soapbox for parents who want to have their cake (arguably the best non-magnet public high school in SC) and eat it, too (see their kids on the varsity).

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Your kids are getting the short stick.

End of discussion.

Yes kids have to earn their way on to sports teams, especially varsity playoff and state championship teams. But they shouldn't have to compete with twice as many kids or more than nearly every other school in the state.

Simple fact: if you split Wando in half it would become the 20th and 21st biggest schools in the state. And other than Dorman it is the only school in the state that could be two 4a schools.

Even more interesting: look at the 2013 Massey ratings for just 4a schools.
1. Wando 3551
3. JL Mann 1685
5. South Aiken 1516
6. Riverside 1588
7. Dutch Fork 2097
8. Lexington 1843
9. Blythewood 1603
10. Mauldin 2102
12. TL Hanna 1734
13. Fort Mill 1658

So of the top 10 4a schools you are twice the size of 7 of them. No wonder you have been to 7 straight state Championships.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
And Wando is almost as big as all of them as the difference of their next closest in size Mauldin, which they are 1400 bigger.

Nahhhh, size does not matter.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

I have responded to your overly simplistic perspective, based purely on enrollment numbers, that Mt. P kids are somehow getting "the short end of the stick," by pointing out all of the other elements/options of the issue (opportunity to try out at Wando; opportunity to play other sports, such as lacrosse, which aren't widely offered elsewhere; opportunity at other schools; etc.).
I've pointed out that parents should consider the entire picture (quantity and quality of academic offerings) when criticizing a situation that, in many instances, they've constructively chosen for their children.
I look at interscholastic athletics at Wando, and I don't see a major issue based on enrollment. Nor would I have complained if my kid hadn't made the soccer team. I would have encouraged him to improve, try again, and/or try another sport or activity, OF WHICH THERE ARE PLENTY AT WANDO.
The enrollment/opportunity issue is legitimate in MANY ways. Athletic/extracurricular opportunity is not among them. That's simply a soapbox for parents who want to have their cake (arguably the best non-magnet public high school in SC) and eat it, too (see their kids on the varsity).

you've been exposed as a pompous blowhard with every post. please take every opportunity & thread to lecture us off topic with your elementary moralistic rules of yth sports. your holier than thou avoid the subject to get your moronic bumper sticker view of raising kids is laughable. my avg 3rd grader has forgotten more than you so proudly preach. you really need to find a less educated audience is my suggestion. but hey, you'll always have your ref whine threads to wow em with your "knowledge".

Last edited by sandman; 06/13/13 02:59 AM.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Take athletics out of the mix

3500 students/4 = 875 students per grade (I know the distrubution is not always equal but the example works)

6% of 875 = 52.5

Now take Mauldin in the list next highest 2102/4 = 525.5 per grade

6% of 252.5 = 31.5

Therefore Wando has 21 more students able to qualify for Palmetto Fellows than Mauldin. Assuming the other criteria is met Wando gets an additional $140,700 of scholarship for incoming college freshmen

So if my kid in Mauldin has a 1200SAT and 3.5 GPA but class rank #32 he does not qualify. Yet the #32 in Wando qualifies easily.

Is the Wando student any better? you can argue all day long... however was the Wando student helped by the numbers? yes

what if you are a student that has a 3.7 GPA, scored a 1300 in SAT and you are ranked #7 in a class of 100... you do not qualify it does not mean that the student is any less of a student than #52 in Wando who got a 1200 and GPA of 3.5

S
goal
goal
S
I think you missed the point & muddied the waters. your 6% figure would still be the same if wando was split in two.

S
goal
goal
S
on a timely related note, article in the Moultrie news this week on how east cooper schools are getting screwed financial wise, especially wando compared to the rest of the district

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard