Quote:

Annual test is given but a big difference between answering quetions with no time pressure vs. a game where you have second to 'answer the question'. Not only do we have a shortage of qualified refs in some areas but also a shortage of assessors. Refs need the feedback on what they did right and what they could be doing better. And you are correct, they should be assigned to games that are qualified to ref and work up from there.

I agree with you on some points, but not all. If this was a big time job, not one where this was some pocket money job, then yes, they need to be evaluated. I proposed a system that is in place in other sports.

Personally, I wouldn't want a coach evaluating me if I was a ref, just like I wouldn't want a ref evaluating me if I was a coach. Some coaches don't know the rules and some refs don't know coaching.

I think that part of the problem lies in a training program or lack thereof. Those new guys need to be put through many hours of training and shadowing some experienced and highly regarded officials.

The test could be timed and there could be a minimum score. if you score above a certain grade, then you are eligible for playoffs and varsity contests.