Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#171846 05/07/16 12:46 PM
J
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
J
Who determines the start times of games? Who didn't realize that AP exams were given yesterday? Player safety considerations? This is an absolute joke.

J
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
J
Since no one would answer, SCHSL says schools set game times. Apparently, JL Mann had no consideration for AP exams on Friday with the 6:00 kickoff.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
It's my understanding too that the home team sets the time. I find it odd that some teams opt to play at 6 or 6:30 pm when they've played at 7 or 7:30 pm all season. Seems to throw off the rhythm.

I don't think much consideration is given to the AP tests and such. You can always take it at a later time. All the spring sports have to deal with the testing issues.

J
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
J
AP tests given one time during school year, at same time, regardless of school. Tests may be given later in the Summer, not sure, but why would you want to take it then? Why would a game preempt an AP test.

I agree with you on the 6-6:30 thing. I could see it to avoid a late night return during the week, but this was a Friday night game.

Really not a good thing to ride an hour and half in the car, arrive, and step on the field a few minutes later.

Goal
Goal
Hosting school sets the Time. Visiting coach can make suggestions and come up with compromise but in the end it's hosting school. Also, for tests, most coaches I know will make adjustments unless ones can't be made. Know of kids that tested Saturday morning so the coaches agrees to a late afternoon kick.

Goal
Goal
Just to clarify the AP exam schedules (I teach AP Chemistry). Each exam is originally schedule for a specific date and time. For example, AP Chemistry was May 2 at 8 am and end around noon. If they exam is not in the morning, they start at 12 pm and end around 4 pm. I had a student that was competing in our region golf tournament that day, so he will be taking the makeup exam. Makeup exams are also scheduled on a specific date. I believe they are May 17th and 18th this year.

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
J
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
J
On paper, they are supposed to start at 12 and end at 4. Two years in a row, afternoon exams started later and ended later than scheduled, by 30-40 minutes. I understand the timing of golf, but still shouldn't be scheduled with possible exam conflict. All soccer is at night, so still no reason for 6:00 scheduled kickoff. Obviously no communication and/or no one cares.

R
Bench
Bench
R
Personally, I wish the soccer season would start two weeks earlier which would help avoid these testing issues. Our school has IB and AP testing which all started last week. Luckily, our teams _only_ had to travel 2.5 hours for playoff games both Tuesday and Thursday nights. Other teams traveled over 3.5 hours! Plus, I don't understand why soccer has to play every other night during the playoffs. I realize this was mentioned in another thread but surely something can be changed!

J
Kickoff
OP Offline
Kickoff
J
Changing it would require that someone cares about it. Obviously, no one has up to this point.

World Cup
World Cup
Originally Posted By: jumbopaper
Changing it would require that someone cares about it. Obviously, no one has up to this point.

Actually, many do care ... However, changing things at the SCHSL level requires the support of Principals and ADs ... This makes the process much more difficult ... Heck, we have trouble getting coaches to join the SCACA & SCHSSCA each year!

My two cents from someone who has dealt with this for 20+ years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard