Originally Posted By: Pjay
Ok, there are really only two debatable things on that final goal.

1. Was the goal in the right place
2. Where did the ball land.

1. Was the goal in the right place?
There were 4 games yesterday. That is four sets of refs, four sets of coaches and 8 goalies and not ONE of them noticed that the goal was in the wrong place? But someone from the stands or watching a TV review saw whatever all those other people missed? Really???

Not buying that.

And let's be honest, if the goal was in the wrong position and your coach didn't notice or say something then tough luck. Don't play a complete game and then at the end complain "oh the goal post was in the wrong spot so that goal shouldn't count"

Sorry life doesn't work that way.

Also I would expect the refs to call the game based on the locations of the lines, not the goal. Imagine if the ref disallowed a goal that crossed the line by saying the line was not in the right spot?

Finally the best photo I have seen of the goal posts suggest that the goal is in exactly the right position.
Click the link to see a large high quality photo showing that the front of the post is slightly in front of the line which suggests that the back of the post is lined up with the black goal line. I know there are a lot of problems with SC soccer, but I don't think lining up a goal post for a championship game is one of them.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13247907_10205684533293332_6392098719823842043_o.jpg

2. Where did the ball land?
For this we have a great photo and a video from channel 7. Both suggest that the ball was 100% inside the goal, and not even close.

Remember the ball is 9 inches wide so once the center of the ball is 4.5 inches past the line it is completely in the goal, math doesn't lie (unless it's common core)

Based on someone else's measurement the landing spot of the ball is 4 inches past the black line. And that is the very edge of the landing spot. Now if the landing spot was half an inch wide you might have a point (4 inches in plus half inch = 4.5 inches inside the goal)

But the landing spot creates an impact much more than half an inch. In fact the landing spot looks to be the same diameter of the ball. So if the landing spot is the same width of the ball and that spot is 4 inches inside the goal then the ball HAS to be in the goal.

9 inch wide ball creates a spot 9 inches wide and that spot is 4 inches inside the goal then the whole ball MUST be inside the goal. Math doesn't lie.

The only way for this to not be a goal would be for the center of the ball to land 4.5 inches inside the goal, any further and its 100% in, and if the center of the ball lands 4.5 inches inside the goal then the landing spot would be less than 4 inches from the black line.

Again mathematically there is no way for that ball to land that far inside the goal, leave a spot that big and for the whole ball to not be inside the goal itself. I mean, the ball landed on the line but the spot it created was 4 inches away?? One hell of a trick ball.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CidRTBfXAAA1_CH.jpg

So all the physical evidence we have suggest that the goal posts were in the right spot and that the ball landed well past the goal line.

If I am wrong then explain to me how that ball created a spot that big that far inside the goal without being in the goal itself. And explain how that impact zone doesn't touch the line, for it to not be a goal the ball would have had to land on the line, at least partially, and this the impact zone would have to be on the line as well, or very very close.

Believe it or not, the goal posts are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is, did the ball cross the goal line.

Situation 1.4.1 ....the entire ball passes beyond the goal line, but does not pass beyond the goal posts and under the cross bar because the goal is not in its proper position. A goal is awarded.
Ruling: Correct decision. The goal is assumed to be in the proper position.

That picture clearly shows the ball mark completely beyond the goal line.

As to the goals not being properly placed, etc. In Georgia this year for their state championship girls basketball games their baskets were somehow improperly placed and no one but one person noticed. It happens.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/baskets-set-up-in-wrong-place-for-georgia-state-title-games