Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#25094 04/05/05 01:39 PM
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Northwestern plays a very weak schedule in a state where there are only a hand full of good teams. As for #1 in the Nation, you got to be kidding me. There are about 15 states that play Spring soccer. There are many teams in Charlotte and North Carolina, Atlanta and Georgia, and Virginia to mention a few that would beat them easily. They never have any college players. If they played better teams they would have respect. In all though, it is still a great honor to be #1 in anything.

#25095 04/05/05 02:18 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
I agree with Soccerboy, CornerFlag and Jose, they have done everything that is asked of them so why should they not be ranked. They are the only team in 4A that does not have a loss or tie. They cannot help the region that they were placed in. The previous 2 years, they played in a tough region with Valley, Ridgeview and Fort Mill.

They have played decent games out of region. They have played Dorman twice and beat them pretty soundly it appears. Dorman has lost 3 games this year and 2 of them have come to NW. I believe people are quickly to dismiss Dorman because of the bad results they have had against NW. Against everyone else, they have been tough only losing to Valley 2-1. They also played the 2A champions in Emerald, who will at least be in the championship game again. Plus their championship in the preseason tournament.

I dont know if this is the case, but generally schools develop relationships with other schools and play them year in and year out. Sumter, Spartanburg, and Clover appear to fall into this category. I believe that Finotti is from Sumter. That could explain why they play Sumter who however not great, will be a playoff team and have a chance to win a first round game. Clover is in the Rock Hill area I believe. Spartanburg is not far of a trip and are considerably down more than in years past.

We should all offer congratulations to Northwestern and Coach Finotti on their accomplishments. By being number one in the nation, they bring positive exposure to SC soccer like past number ones have.

#25096 04/05/05 02:27 PM
coach
coach
There are always detractors whenever there is success or recognition for a team, thats not your team. But NW schedule is not as difficult as many others in 4A, like Dutch Fork and Wando. South Aiken schedule also is not very difficult. Had NW played in and won tough BC tournament, then the recognition would definitely be warranted. Instead, NW has their own smaller tournament coming up soon, which they should easily win.

#25097 04/05/05 02:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soccermann, after looking at northwestern's schedule, it appears that you (hartsville) will get your shot to prove your opinion in their tournament.

#25098 04/05/05 02:38 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
scsoccerman

First of all, Charlotte and all of North Carolina play HS soccer in the fall. Thats why their older boys are playing club soccer this spring. I do believe that a few players have signed on at different colleges. I might try to do some research later today.

Secondly, you are from Hartsville. How much good soccer do you see? You play in one of the weakest regions in 4A. Since you seem to be an expert and the rankings are a joke, please tell me who you would have has your number 1.

Again congrats to NW, South Aiken and Wando for bringing positive exposure to South Carolina High School soccer.

#25099 04/05/05 02:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SCsoccermann burning out his fuse up here alone.

It’s just his job five days a week.

Hes just a SCsoccermann.

#25100 04/05/05 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK

Lets break down the weak schedules:

Northwestern:
Combined W-L-T record of Opponents: 144-92-5

Irmo:
Combined W-L-T record of Opponents: 133-139-6

Wando:
Combined W-L-T record of Opponents: 146-118-17

SA:
Combined W-L-T record of Opponents: 95-124-5

I guess you can make the assumptions from here on strength of schedule.

#25101 04/05/05 11:57 PM
world cup
world cup
Yeah, but take out Fort Mill (because they suck) and your record drops to 132 - 91 - 3.

Hmmm.....still not too bad. Go Northwestern!

Take it easy on FM tomorrow night, don't embarass them.

#25102 04/06/05 12:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude

It only includes the records of previous played teams

#25103 04/06/05 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude

Although it's great as a tie-breaker for 4th place in a region, combined record of opponents doesn't mean much when you are trying to make a case for best team. What's more significant is how many QUALITY teams you've played. Northwestern has not played a patsy schedule by any means, and absolutely deserve their ranking. But if you look at the quality opponents on their schedule so far, it doesn't compare well with teams like Wando, and even Fort Mill. Of course, that all eventually gets played out on the field, and tonight should be a good test. I haven't seen the Trojans play yet this year, and I'm looking forward to it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard