Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
#28226 05/06/05 12:50 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
If DF does play Irmo, it should be another battle. DF looks to be very good next year, good luck with either HH or RV. Although I have to root against DF in a RV game because I know the coach! At least you guys will get an extra day of rest, may come in handy.

#28227 05/06/05 01:09 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
A couple of writeups from the Charleston paper. First, the Irmo - Summerville game:

quote:
Irmo nips Wave in boys' soccer

BY CHARLES BENNETT
Of The Post and Courier Staff

COLUMBIA--Summerville stepped onto the field of one of the state's most vaunted soccer programs Thursday night and almost walked off with one of the year's biggest upsets.
Almost is the key word.

Irmo's Chris McCartney headed in a goal with less than two minutes left in the first 10-minute overtime Thursday night to lift the top-seeded Yellow Jackets to a 2-1 victory over the Green Wave in the second round of the Class AAAA playoffs.

"Our boys played their hearts out," said Summerville coach Edmund Carson. "I think we sure gave Irmo a run for their money. I think we gave them more than they expected. We had some chances to win."

Irmo (20-2) will play at Wando at 7 p.m. Saturday. Wando defeated West Florence 5-0.

Irmo dominated play in the second half, but couldn't put away the Green Wave. Summerville had few scoring opportunities in the second half, but stayed in it on the strength of its defense.

Irmo outshot Summerville 18-6.

"Sometimes you have games like that where the ball just doesn't go in the back of the net for you," said Irmo coach Phil Savitz. "Summerville fought hard. I'm proud of our team because I thought our second half was one of our most dominating performances against a really good team."

Summerville (18-2) put the pressure on Irmo early into the match by scoring first. At the 32:50 mark of the first half, Summerville midfielder Keenan Miller scored to put the Green Wave ahead 1-0.

"It gave us some momentum," Miller said, "but they took it right back."

It marked only the second time this season an opponent had scored first against the Yellow Jackets.

Irmo tied it with 11:47 remaining in the half on a goal by Sani Hadziahmetovic, who somehow managed to squeeze a shot between defender Kemp Anderson and goalkeeper Brandon Wogamon from close range.

Catching the Yellow Jackets in the second round was obviously a tough draw for the Wave. Irmo has won 15 state championships and has only missed making the state finals twice in the last 18 years.

And now the Wando - West Florence match:

quote:
Warriors march on
Wando rains goals on overmatched West Florence, awaits Irmo

BY PHILIP M. BOWMAN
Of The Post and Courier

MOUNT PLEASANT--It rained the entire evening while the wind whipped through the Wando Athletic Complex at what seemed to be a ferocious pace. One of the stadium's four banks of lights went out for a brief spell in the second half of Thursday's Class AAAA Lower State match against West Florence. Other than that, it was a great day to be part of the Wando boys' soccer family.
The Warriors scored early and often against West Florence and came away with a 5-0 victory. The second-ranked Warriors moved another step closer to their goal of winning the state championship for the second time in four years.

Talented junior keeper Taylor Hopkins recorded another shutout, the team's 18th on the year. Just as impressive is Wando's record, which is now 24-1-1 after the victory over the Knights. West Florence finished the season with a 14-11 mark.

The Warriors advance to the third round and will host Irmo at 7 p.m. Saturday. Irmo advanced with a 2-1 overtime victory against Summerville.

"They passed real well, played good defense," West Florence coach Billy Andrews said. "We gave the effort and came up short. They're a good team, what you'd expect from the No. 2 team in the state."

Wando controlled Spring Valley in the first round of the playoffs, but managed only a 1-0 decision.

That was the score just two minutes and 32 seconds into the match Alex Dorsam scored from 18 yards.

"Yes, you say 'uh-oh' when the other team scores that early, but you still have to play 88 more minutes," Andrews said of Wando's early goal. "They got the shots early and played well on defense. That's something you expect from a team that is well-coached and disciplined."

Sophomore midfielder Andrew Eppelsheimer, who scored the only goal of the match against Spring Valley, scored in the 18th minute, and all-American David Newton blasted a goal from 25 yards out in the 26th minute. Mark Dominick rebounded a shot into the net in the 35th minute, and that four-goal cushion gave Wando coach C.J. Rozzi a chance to get everyone in the game.

Kristoffer Helmerson, a foreign exchange student from Norway, scored in the 75th minute and his accomplishment drew a healthy round of applause from those who braved it out to the end.

Rozzi was happy with the victory and with the way the field held up.

"It's always tough to play in conditions like this, but the field held up well and so did we," he said. "When you put the ball on the ground and keep it on the ground, it negates a lot of the wind, the bad conditions. We talked about following up the shots at both ends because you never know what's going to happen in weather like this. If you don't follow up the shots, it just might go in the opposite direction."

But on Thursday, everything went in the right direction for the Warriors.

#28228 05/06/05 01:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good game again SCS.. Ya'll controlled the first 15 minutes, after that we controlled the next 30 minutes of the first half by a LONG Shot. We were on yall's side a whole lot.. Ya'll put that fluke goal on us in the first 10 minutes. Second half was conrolled by us just by a little margin.. Yall finished and we didn't. As a senior I left it all on the field.. I feel good about my playing.

SCS-2
Dixie-0
GOod luck CC and SCS.

#28229 05/06/05 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys, try to leave it on the field. Face it, some Regions play a much tougher schedule than others do. You can see it now! The playoffs are when it shows. There were first and second seeds in some regions that had really never played a powerhouse. It is not truely a reflection on the skill of a team but more a chemistry and quality issue.

Cheer on who beats you.....it helps your team's credibility! Good luck to all who remain in the hunt!

#28230 05/06/05 03:59 PM
goal
goal
I BELIEVE so far we have two people who claim to have seen the Irmo-Summerville game: one who says the winning goal was never touched after the throw-in and one who says it clearly was.

Are there any Summerville fans/players who will speak up and confirm that it was a good goal?

Just curious....thanks.

#28231 05/07/05 04:07 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I'm sorry we don't ref your games either chris, one of us has been to busy with mls games during his life, and the other two are still in high school and just referee club. As far as it being obvious, I did notice that the center ref had to come over and talk to his AR for about 2 minutes to make sure that he was certain, because the center saw what we saw. I was pulling for Irmo the whole time, I just think they should have won convincingly rather than on a goal that was nothing less than controversial.

#28232 05/07/05 04:10 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Will there be any matchs in Cola. tomorrow night?

BC is out
Irmo is away
DF depends on winner of RV/HH
Dreher is at MB

correct?

#28233 05/07/05 04:20 AM
E
goal kick
goal kick
E
I looked at tape of the second goal and can say that it was very close. There was a long throw to the near post and Irmo sent a great near post run. In real time, it looked as though it went over Irmo's head and our defender's and went directly into the goal. I later looked at tape and it looked as though the Irmo player may have gotten a touch. Very close to call, even with the advantage of video tape. It would be very difficult for any referee to call a goal back on such a play. Irmo earned the goal and deserves to play on.

#28234 05/07/05 04:31 AM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
As an IRMO fan I have to say Summerville's Keeper did an outstanding job all night. He was in good position for much of the time and made some great saves. I find it hard to believe that he would have let a throw-in sail directily into the goal, even thou his vision might have been distracted by players. However,whether the goal went in or not it is his job as Keeper, if he believes the ref should have made a call to ask the question. Not to place doubt in the ref's mind, but to honestly question the play. He did the right thing no matter what the final outcome.

#28235 05/07/05 04:39 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Summerville's coach is a class act.

As for you, Belligerent, go stir up some trouble with *GK on the club board...

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard