Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
#29222 05/15/05 06:58 PM
World Cup
World Cup
This is a bit of a "touchy" area for me to comment on, but I want to be on the record for a fair assessment of what I witnessed.

First off, it was an outstanding final between what I think most will agree on were the two best Class 4A boys teams in the state this season.

Now then, onto the postgame situation.

The SCHSSCA had been asked to make sure that proper decorum was followed after each match amongst the teams and the fans -- the security this weekend did a very good job in terms of crowd control and keeping things on time and in an efficient matter.

It was relayed to the SCHSSCA to make sure that proper respect was upheld by the Champion and Runner-Up during the trophy/medal presentation following each match.

Well, after Irmo was presented with the State Runners-Up trophy, a couple of Yellow Jackets hoisted the trophy, received the applause from the crowd, and then were called a few yards down field by their coaches toward the scoreboard end of the field. The team clearly had their backs turned toward the presentation of the State Championship trophy as their coaches addressed them after the match.

The SCHSL soccer liaison, Roger Hazel, informed Irmo Principal Gerald Witt and Athletics Director Bob Hanna about the lack of recognition Irmo was giving to South Aiken and Hanna responded to him with a comment of the sort, "I can't break up a team meeting", and did not intervene in the meeting. This from a football coach, who has been a Class 4A Runner-Up in two of the past three seasons -- 2002 (Division 2) and 2004 (Division 1).

I've known Phil Savitz, Dennis Cook, and others associated with the Irmo HS boys soccer program a long time and consider all friends. I truly respect the Yellow Jackets' tremendous history and soccer excellence -- no one has ever done it better between the lines in S.C. high school soccer.

But, as a parent of an Irmo player told me after the game, "Our boys just need to learn how to lose a little bit better."

As GOIRMO.COM states today on their fine website, from poet Edwin Markham, "Defeat may serve as well as victory to shake the soul and let the glory out." At the time he didn't know about Irmo boys soccer but was nonetheless prophetic about one of the nation's best programs ever. He was right and perhaps his words ring true for the Yellow Jackets today for one game, one loss, one day cannot mar a season of great accomplishment or quarter of a century of excellence. The remarkable trail of 15 championships, of hundreds of wins, of scores of great players and of a program built on class, character and consistency can be appreciated even more today than yesterday. There were no losers in this year's title game. Let the glory out. Congratulations to our Lower State champions on another outstanding season and a superb effort."

I wish the Irmo boys soccer team would have shown that 'glory' as well to South Aiken after the match.

http://www.goirmo.com/archives/bsoccer051505.htm

#29223 05/15/05 07:08 PM
Brace
Brace
The pictures are inconclusive via NFL standards. There is a shadow on the line that could be balls shadow. Also the rules says it has to fully cross the line. No linesman could call that a goal because the ball would have been partly obstructed by the post. The center could not judge based on his depth. Indeed a close play and unfortunate ruling for Irmo, but at least the officials let the kids make the play and not "interfere" with the game.

#29224 05/15/05 07:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree fully with The Hammer according to the picture from what I'm seeing is that the ball didn't cross the line but then again it might have I don't know but u cant take that chamionship back SA won.

#29225 05/15/05 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's truly a shame that a few fans could make a whole team look bad. Irmo fans are passionate, no doubt, but please don't let the few who let their passion get away from them, until it turns to rudeness, mark a whole team. Most of us do agree that it was a great game, and believe it or not, as anyone who is honest with themselves should admit, we HATE that the boys didn't win, for no other reason than because they are our children! Who wants to see their child disappointed. In the same respect, we do congratulate SA on a great win. See I believe it's not SA or Irmo that perpetuates (Look it up) the back & forth, it is all the "well-meaning" fans and critics on this board. And it doesn't matter...not one bit, but the ball was in.

#29226 05/15/05 07:39 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Soccer boy is my son and I am using his name to add my voice one final time in responce to all of you out there claiming that the ball didn't cross the line. The ball defititely without question crossed the line. I film for Irmo and have done so for the last 15 years and in all of the games filmed this is only the second time the ref team failed to make the call. The sideline guy just didn't make a call all night. If I remember right he only called offsides once the whole night. Had the call been made the game would have probably been decided by pk's. Congratulations to South Aiken on winning the state title.

This was my final game to film for Irmo and it has been a pleasure for all these years. I have seen boys become men and have watched & tasted great wins as well as watched & tasted defeat. I wish everyone could see the wall in my basement which is a tribute to one of the greatest programs in high school soccer. Good luck to Irmo in the future. I will forever be a part of your program.

With great pride I sign off.
Doug Gray

#29227 05/15/05 07:55 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
That picture is a very, very close call and if it was indeed a goal, then it doesn't suprise me that the linesman missed it. He missed two blatant balls out of bounds and awarded corners to Irmo and had some bad off sides call (non calls and actual calls). How do you have the State Championships with bad refs? It's beyond me. Hopefully next year the situation will be correted.

#29228 05/15/05 08:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soccer boy's mommy.. if it crossed, it didnt cross enough to be called. Game over. SA wins..
get over it irmo.

#29229 05/15/05 08:30 PM
bench
bench
Congrats to South Aiken for winning the state title and bringing recognition to the fact that soccer DOES exist in Aiken!

We're very happy for you and also very glad that Goose is graduating. Any chance that Jamal will graduate early?? [Wink]

#29230 05/15/05 09:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, the picture convinces me.

web page

#29231 05/15/05 10:04 PM
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Go South Aiken The greatest team ever to go down in South Carolina history. This season should be turned into a video and sold on ESPN. order in the next ten minutes and get your free ESPN Hoodie.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard