Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
goal
goal
Futbolfanatic, you got that right - no class at Irmo wants to be the one that did not win the state championship.

Most programs are happy to get to the region finals, ecstatic to just MAKE IT TO the state finals – Irmo is not satisfied unless they WIN the state championship. That’s not being cocky – it is a desire that each player has, and a demand that each player places upon himself to continue that tradition of winning and of excellence.

That type of standard is something we should all strive for...

goal
goal
Dexter, I agree with Futbolfanatic - I hung around after the match, and I recall the Irmo players standing there while presentations were made to the SA players. Maybe Heise is talking about something that happened after the presentation, and the Irmo players did not realize it was an official part of the ceremony.

I was in the stands until SA went over to get their official champions photo across the field. Just don't recall Irmo players going anywhere until it looked like it was over and the SA players ran towards the stands to their screaming fans/parents.

Were you there, or are you only going from second-hand information?

coach
coach
And that is noble and good that you strive for those championships. With Savitz and the rabid fan support, Irmo is able to produce the most consistently competitive, quality teams in the state. He is fortunate that CSC provides him with a great product of players, enabling him to field wonderfully skilled HS teams. And with all the many successes and championships, it has got to be hard not to be disappointed with a loss. But, even the hardest losses should be graciously accepted as a life experience. Young kids love to celebrate their successes. Its when they don't attain that immediate success, even though they worked hard for it, that they truly grow as a person.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was not there. I am going on the post from Kyle Heise on page 6 of SA-Irmo. Have you read it? I have never known either of the Heise's to be dishonset. Have you? Is second hand information invalid. I heard that Bridge FA was forming a club on this message board? I have not seen it. Is that valid? Is that considered second hand information.

What a little story Mr. Heise has put together. To dream up a conversation with the Irmo AD and principal. I wonder what his motive might be?

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Dexter, I find the rambling on by Kyle Heise to be interesting to say the least. I can't think of a reason that he would post it, nor can I define or know why he did. Is he dissappointed in what he perceives as a snub by Irmo? Why did he post that commentary? Was it really necessary for him to post that commentary, and what did the posting actually accomplish? Is there some motive by which he chose to post this comment? As the leading administrator to this board, I don't know why he would do that. There may have been some information exchanged that he was involved in, or overheard that may not have been the wisest choice to share with the general public. As for what Dexter is babling about, I don't let it hold much water. He is an Irmo hater, and will take every opportunity to bash Irmo.

As for the statement that Irmo clearly had their backs turned toward the presentation to SA, is there any reason to post this? When you address your players, do you want them to be distracted, or do you want them to listen to you? Whenever I have addressed players, I want their backs to the parents and anything that is distracting. Why post a comment like this unless you are trying start something. Such a word as "obvious" can be an inflamatory word, and it looks as if it was used as such.

When quoting a parent, why use such things as a secret source? Post the parents name, if they said it, they better be able to deal with the consequences. I don't like statements like that that don't identify who said such a thing. Look at the problems Newsweek is having from not identifying a source.

Being origionally from Irmo, I can say that I do support them. Although over the years, it has become apparant that many dislike Irmo, and take any shot possible to display their dislike. They are like the Yankees, most everyone hates them. Although this is interesting because Irmo's coach is such an incredibly nice guy, that there is no way that you would be able to dislike Phil if you ever met him. He is by far one of the nicest people that I have ever met. Having been a neighbor of his for many years, and having my brother grow up with his son Zack, I have an even greater respect for him. You can dislike the constant success that Irmo has had, but if you really think that Phil would intentionally be disrespectful, there is something seriously wrong with you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccerboy, you seem to be missing the point or you are purposefully avoiding it. The point seems to be that Irmo, specifically the players, does not display sportsmanship nor class when they lose. You obviously don't seem to agree with those feelings evidenced by your lack of acknowledgment of Dexter's point. Rather, you chose to attack Heise for posting his encounter with representatives from Irmo, which is completely relevant, and claim that anyone who perceives Irmo in this manner to be "haters." That is an indication that you are incapable of discussing such issues due to your extreme degree of bias.

By the way, my back is turned to you right now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as the picture goes, look at the shadow of the ball and then look at the angle of the shadow of the players. If you go by the shadow of the players (which I'm sure shows everyone where the lights are coming from) then the ball is not a goal. The shadow of the ball should be well beyond that of the line, not over it. Just my opinion.

goal
goal
2004striker, this is getting slightly off-subject, but when you say “He is fortunate that CSC provides him with a great product of players, enabling him to field wonderfully skilled HS teams” it appears that you are giving Phil Savitz an extremely back-handed compliment. If I misinterpreted the “dig,” please let me know. Otherwise, I agree completely with your comments.

Dexter, yes I have read Kyle Heise’s post, and I was not saying that he is dishonset NOR dishonest. He has his version of what happened, I (and apparently others) have mine. The fact is, just because the two versions do not necessarily agree does not mean that either one of them is incorrect. How is that possible, you may ask?

Let’s suppose, as I suggest, that the Irmo players and coaching staff waited respectfully while the SA players received their awards. They eventually get to a point where it appears as if the ceremony is over. The Irmo players and staff now move to the side a little to have a team meeting. When this happens, apparently the ceremony is not completely over, so “The SCHSL soccer liaison, Roger Hazel, informed Irmo Principal Gerald Witt and Athletics Director Bob Hanna about the lack of recognition Irmo was giving to South Aiken…” The Irmo AD responds that he can’t break up a team meeting.

I contend that the Irmo players and coaches were not aware that the ceremony was over and they were being requested to return to their spots. It was the AD who made the decision not to break up the meeting. If anyone was being disrespectful, it was him.

I’m sure your response will be “that is highly unlikely,” but I recall the “official” ceremony, or at least what appeared to be a part of it, was completely over before the first Irmo player took a step away. I would like to know what action signified the “official” end of the ceremony, because, other than the SA players running toward the stands, I don’t know what it was.

Also, the comment from the Irmo player’s parent that "Our boys just need to learn how to lose a little bit better" does not necessarily refer to the alleged disrespect towards SA; that comment could have been said offhand, and taken out of context.

Again, I am not calling anyone a liar, especially Mr. Heise. I am merely suggesting that things are not always as they appear to be. I am sure that Mr. Heise believes what he saw, as I believe what I saw – again, not necessarily wrong on either account – merely different points of view.

Has anyone spoken to any Irmo players to see how they viewed the situation?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kyle Heise has always had a grudge against Irmo. Im not questioning his integrity. Just because he is the board administrator doesn't mean he doesnt have a bias. Irmo has not been invited to his tournament since they won it 2 years in a row almost 10 or 11 years ago. Since then, any post by him regarding Irmo doesn't put them in a flattering light. Sure, he states the obvious, "oh they are such a great program, blah, blah, blah," but why would he post something like he did on page 6 (thank you Dexter for the page reference, it was most helpful (note the sarcasm))if he such an unbias, non-judgemental human being (again note the sarcasm of an unbias, non-judgemental human being)

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
FutbolFanatic -- Get your facts straight! Kyle has no ill feelings towards Irmo and Irmo has basically had a standing invitation to attend the Palmetto Cup any year that they want to, but Phil has his "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality and certainly is entitled to that due to the great success Irmo has had by not participating in a mid-season tourney. If Irmo EVER wants to attend, Phil knows that all they have to do is ask.

What happened Saturday night at the state championships is NOT fabrication but here is a detailed, itemized list of what transpired:

(1) At the conclusion of the 4A boys final the SCHSSCA members were summoned to assist with crowd control;

(2) We went down to the sidelines and a HSL official (who I will not name publicly) asked us to be on the lookout for any displays of poor sportsmanship (i.e. - throwing medals down/away like in 2002);

(3) After Irmo was presented with their Runner-Up medals (and prior to the presentation of Championship medals to South Aiken), the Irmo team left the line and went to have a "team meeting";

(4) Kyle mentioned this to the HSL official who went and asked IHS AD Bob Hanna and Principal Gerald Witt about this and both shrugged their shoulders with a "I can't break their team meeting up" look;

I can attest that Kyle and Phil have exchanged emails and the gist of the conversation is centered on the fact that Phil, nor Irmo were ever instructed by HSL officials of the expected protocol for the awards presentation. I believe this to be true, but the simple fact is that Irmo (of all teams) has been in the finals enough times to know what the routine is and this should not excuse their actions. Believe me, there were several coaches in attendance that witnessed and commented on the same thing. I won't reveal their names due to professional courtesy, but I know what I know.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard