2/16/06
Top Programs to Meet in Tournament
Gerald Davis, The State (Columbia)

Three years ago, answering this question would’ve been tough for Dutch Fork boys soccer coach Wayne Quinlan: Would you prefer to play in a competitive tournament before the season or during?

The answer is obvious now.

“I think spring break tournaments are great, but at that point, teams pretty much know what they have,” he said. “Right now, you don’t know. But Saturday or Sunday, you will.”

That’s because Dutch Fork, Chapin and Irmo are playing host the third annual Lake Murray Challenge, a tournament that features some of the top boys soccer programs in the state.

Action begins Friday with games at Dutch Fork, Chapin and Irmo High Schools. Also competing in the tournament are Norman North High from Oklahoma, Dreher, Eastside, North Augusta, Myrtle Beach, Ben Lippen, Northwestern and Dorman.

Northwestern is the defending tournament champion. Irmo won the event two seasons ago.

“This field is pretty scary,” Quinlan said. “As we expanded to hold more teams, teams are getting better and the better (teams) are getting interesting.”

Dutch Fork included. The Silver Foxes are the preseason No. 1 in Class 4A. Northwestern is ranked second and Irmo third. Dorman is ranked eighth.

Myrtle Beach is ranked sixth in Class 3A and Dreher is eighth. Ben Lippen is a perennial power in SCISA.

“With this field, anybody can win,” Quinlan said.

But don’t expect the best soccer. First, coaches are still playing with their lineups, adjusting their rosters. Saturday and Sunday, the final days of the tournament, competition will heat up.

Participating in a competitive tournament before the season may offer an advantage for the teams involved.

“Absolutely,” Quinlan said. “I want to know everything about my team after this weekend. Good competition is going to teach me that.”