In this game, there were 3 refs. The AR on the attacking side would have had almost the exact viewpoint as the camera, assuming he was keeping up with the play. The center ref was behind the play, through no real fault of his own. Had this been a two whistle system, which everyone complains about, one of the two refs would have been very close to the camera (right side of the field in the attacking end). He would have had the same view as the AR in a 3 man system, and probably a better view than the center ref. Do you honestly think it would have made a difference in this case?

Keep in mind, during most pre-game discussions, the center ref tells the ARs to call fouls in their quadrant, unless it is in the penalty area. Then the center ref wants to have the first opportunity to call it.

I know that I am less likely to raise my flag as an AR in this type of situation, letting the center ref make the hard call. I'm not afraid to make a hard call as a center, but in cases like this, which are all too frequent, I'm not sure I would have made the correct call.

The 3 man system is much, much better for offsides, throw-in directions, and goal kick vs. corner kick decisions. There is nothing inherently better about it for making foul calls. In fact, in some cases, having two refs with whistles is better than one, especially if the one is caught well behind the play. With a three man system, the center ref really needs to be fit, and willing to make the long, hard run to keep up with a play like this, all while maintaining proper positioning on a diagonal. How many high school refs fit that description?

If you are a player, think about this video the next time you disagree with a call. If you have a parent that routinely yells at refs, show him or her this video. If you or your parent were able to make a definitive and correct call in real time, get certified, buy a yellow striped jersey and some goofy black socks, and get out there. If you couldn't, cut us some slack.

Thanks.