Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4012 03/19/02 03:42 PM
D
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
D
Problem: Taunting
Specifically - I have witnessed many players(and I have several on video) that taunt by getting a "shoe shine" after a goal.
My problem here is that this is viewed as taunting, but is enforced differently by different referee's.
It has happened to us on several occasions(we've been taunted), but last night when my player did it, he was given what was called a "soft" red card.
Any thoughts?

#4013 03/19/02 03:44 PM
D
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
D
Don't get me wrong here, I do not endorse taunting in any way, but there needs to be consistency!

#4014 03/19/02 04:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's a game. I think a person should be able to have fun with it. Talk a little trash on the field, it's just competition that means nothing in the long scheme of things. Highschool kids aren't that sensitive are they?

#4015 03/20/02 05:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You obviously don't know anything about high school players. The easiest way to throw them off their game is to taunt them. There is no place on the field for that sort of player. If you are good, every one knows it with out any extra curtain calls. Refs should do a better job of containing this immature behavior. It takes the level of the game to the garbage can, which is where trash talking belongs. Just play the game, save the rest for the mirror so some one that cares what the trash talker is saying can see it. [Mad]

#4016 03/20/02 05:54 AM
D
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
D
WHHSOCCERMOM - I agree with you on your point, but there definitely needs to be some sort of clarification on the rule.

After all, my team was on the receiving end of 5 "shoe shines" in one match earlier this year, with no cautions, much less an ejection.

#4017 03/19/02 09:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please describe what you mean by a shoeshine. I am not familiar with the term.

#4018 03/19/02 09:40 PM
D
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
D
Typically, the goal scorer will come back towards midfield and the another player will take a knee in front of the goal scorer.
The goal scorer puts his boot up on the knee and the guy kneeling will do a couple of back and forth motions across the boot of the goal scorer(like a shoe-shine man in some of the big cities).

#4019 03/19/02 11:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's nothing wrong with a quality post-goal celebration such as the shoe shine. SC soccer is too strict with their ruling for a red card for excessive celebration.

#4020 03/19/02 11:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL Shoe shines...that's pretty funny...I don't think anyone should ever be ejected from a high school match for being original, doing something that isn't in the face of the other team (i.e. pointing and yelling in an opponents face), or celebrating after a goal.

5 shoe shines in one game...?!?! That's crazy. After the first one a yellow card should have been given and reds after that. I think that if there is a goal scored that is like the 9th goal in a 10-0 game, no one should celebrate, but if you are tied at 0-0 for 72 minutes and someone scores they most definitely should be able to do something to please the crowd.

#4021 03/19/02 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL Shoe shines...that's pretty funny...I don't think anyone should ever be ejected from a high school match for being original, doing something that isn't in the face of the other team (i.e. pointing and yelling in an opponents face), or celebrating after a goal.

5 shoe shines in one game...?!?! That's crazy. After the first one a yellow card should have been given and reds after that. I think that if there is a goal scored that is like the 9th goal in a 10-0 game, no one should celebrate, but if you are tied at 0-0 for 72 minutes and someone scores they most definitely should be able to do something to please the crowd.

#4022 03/19/02 11:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its all part of the game...look at the celebrations at the next level...if it really bothers you when someone talks trash on the field then you shouldnt be playing

#4023 03/19/02 11:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Razz] I agree with alittle of everyone's theory, if it's a hard fought game then I don't see anything wrong with a (shoe-shine) never heard it before, w/o tauntinting the other team or players personally. If it's a blowout then just be thankful you play for a good team and get on w/o downplaying the other team, they try their best just to be there.

#4024 03/20/02 12:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nah i dont think it should be allowed, they dont allow touchdown dances in football for highschool, and football is a much rougher sport, i played varsity baseball and they also don't allow any sort of celebration for a homerun, so if no sport is allowed a post scoring celebration that boasts an ego, soccer shouldn't be discluded. [Roll Eyes]

#4025 03/20/02 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHHSMOM- does WHHS stand for wade hampton in hampton because you are totally against your team obiously because when Edisto played Wade Hampton one of your players ran towards the stands and shook his butt at the fans as some sort of celebration, i didn't get it but the fact stands that wade hampton does taunt, so maybe you should confront the team you pull for about it before confronting everyone. sorry if i have got the wrong school initials.

#4026 03/20/02 01:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, this whole "taunting" rule is kinda lame, I think. Although I wasn't carded for "shoe shining", I got a yellow card for "taunting".
Here's my scenario...the opposing team was setting up for an indirect and started yelling names of who to send to. So, I was only trying to help them get the message across and repeated what was being said. I don't know if what I did was wrong, but I'm sure that I didn't "taunt" anyone...I was actually trying to repeat it so my team would hear my voice and mark up.
Any thoughts on it?...

#4027 03/20/02 01:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LR I believe you have a valid argument. Our keeper doesn't celebrate when we score, I guess out of respect for the other keeper he knows your'e either the hero or the goat. [Razz]

#4028 03/20/02 02:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHHS does stand for Wade Hampton in Hampton. The issue with the taunting that happened at the game was address by our AD because of it being unsportman like. I do understand that players want to celebrate after making a goal, but there is a line that does not need to be crossed and players need to learn that there is such a thing as excessive celebration.

#4029 03/20/02 08:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Personally....i like celebrating goals..i recieved a card for celebrating winning goal in last 5 minutes against arch rival...i've graduated now...but scoring goals is one of the best feelings in the world...SOCCERMOM wouldn't know that feeling...AND LR keeper didn't DO his job....celebrations are ok as long as they aren't excessive...and pointed towards the other team...I sure as heck wouldn't celebrate a 3rd, 4th, or 5th goal if the other team hasn't kept up...I think there are certain goals that should be celebrated...
1. First Goal of Game
2. Equalizing Goal
3. Goal in final 10 min of hard fought tied match
4. Beautiful Goals (bikes, scissors)
5. Set Pieces

#4030 03/20/02 01:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's nothing wrong with spontaneous group celebrations, but the line needs to be drawn at orchestrated celebrations or those that draw attention to the individual.

#4031 03/20/02 07:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oakenfold, i couldn't agree more, just knowing that those are the goals teams can't hold back from expressing their emotion in. I don't think someone would play a sport if winning didn't mean SOMETHING to them. Where's the fun then?

#4032 03/20/02 07:20 PM
D
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
D
To Official:
I couldn't agree more about a line being drawn.
Just last night I witnessed a player being "frisked" as the Police would do after he scored an excellent goal. It definitely drew attention to the goal scorer.

My question is why he was not carded/ejected (although I nor the referee's saw anything wrong with it...it seems that my player was unfairly singled out).

Someone needs to address this situation before other teams run into the same problem.

#4033 03/20/02 08:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
B&Goo
Yes I am from Wade Hampton in Hampton, but the GIRLS goalie mom [Smile] , not the guys, there is a big difference. I was here checking scores and had to give my 2 cents worth. I was front and center of that "display" and am still totally against that type of behavior. I support my school, but I do not always approve of the behavior. Somethings you cannot control. Let me apologize to you for the behavior at our field.

#4034 03/20/02 11:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
celebrating is something that should be able to be done as long as its not excessive or delaying the start of the ball. getting an awesome goal needs to be celebrated. i mean people do get a great feeling when they score a big goal, so what better way to express than to do a little something afterwards.

#4035 03/21/02 01:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry WHHSMOM, Thanks for clearing that up. I think Edisto is gonna have some competition for your girls next year, at least i hope. we are planning on starting up a girls team.

#4036 03/21/02 01:55 AM
J
Brace
Brace
J
I am an official, and the way I look at it is celebration is OK as long as nobody is verbally attacking someone, or as long as they don't interrupt with the flow of play. I think some officials get "card happy". Thats why they are allowed to verbally warn someone. Without verbal warning, the meaning of the card has been diminished. So before we go jumping off to conclusions that cards have to be pulled for anything and everything, verbally warn the offender. If it happens again, card the offender. But they are kids, let them have some fun......if no swear words are used, and no racial slurs are called out, let them have some fun as long as the game can procede without interruption.

#4037 03/21/02 02:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i couldnt agree more, soccer boy. its ridiculous how some refs are about giving cards for a celebration. the game is played to have fun and as long as your celebration doesnt offend the other team then i dont see whats all the fuss about. geeze this whole thing is crazy and taunting is when you and another player are getting into it verbally, not after a hard fought goal.

#4038 03/21/02 02:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, there is nothing wrong with spontaneous celebration. It's the orchestrated stuff that I think the high school league takes exception to and should not be permitted. It is against the rules, but that doesn't mean a card/ejection has to be given every time. But a verbal warning must be given as a minimum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard