Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#40378 05/07/06 02:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thank coach Quinlan of DFHS for giving me the opportunity to film games for the team. My son is removed 2 years from the team so I do not benefit by penning this post. I would like to let our soccer community know how appalled I was while filming the game on Thursday evening. Some of the fans were extremely out of hand. One gentlemen in particular desired our players to be hurt, inciting the crowd with coments like take him out, knock him down etc. Each time one of our players made a bad pass or missed a shot he directly attacked the player stating good one #**; great pass you idiot. I can understand hopping a ref, but not the players, they are doing their best. Guess the thing that bothered me the most was that there were teachers on the same row as this gentleman(I recognized their position because students sat down and talked to them) and they did nothing. Shame on them. My dad was a High School principal in MA and he would have never allowed this behavior. To the good fans of Hilton Head, I ask you to control the cancer among you, it is tarnishing your good name.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
As much as I hate parents yelling at referees, I am even more appalled at adults yelling at youth players. If you wouldn't yell it at a school spelling bee, don't yell it at a sporting event. It's really no different when you think about it.

"Hey, you're an idiot! Anyone can spell 'pachyderm'! Your team sucks"

Now, yelling at pro players, especially those who deny taking steroids in the face of overwhelming evidence, that's ok by me.

N
bench
bench
N
When fans begin taunting fans from other teams and cause them to feel unsafe, that is when the situation is out of hand. I understand HH fans were throwing things at Wando fans last night.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes I never experienced a similar atmosphere, but the gentleman filming for Hilton Head and several other fans made me comfortable. I did not feel unsafe cause I can handle myself. I would not have wanted my wife/family to be exposed to their behavior. I needed power to film. I was told by the announcer that because of a fight last week the principal would make me move to the other side because I was wearing a DF shirt. Out of hand

S
bench
bench
S
maybe if the visting parents were sitting on there own side of the feild they wouldnt have had things thrown at them...in the dutch fork game and the wando game...visiting parents sat on the home side of the feild, right next to our student section...yea there is going to be a little bit of taunting...its a game and its competitive and most of the students were former players who have passion still...but if you are trying to say that hilton head is the only place with "rowdy" fans, then you are sadly mistaken

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
I'm pretty sure all of the Dutch Fork parents sat on their own side and it wasn't the student section, it was one dad in particular. This dad was really out of hand. A little taunting from a student section can be handled by most players, but when parents start telling kids they suck and hoping they get hurt thats when it gets out of hand.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"I was told by the announcer that because of a fight last week the principal would make me move to the other side because I was wearing a DF shirt. Out of hand"...interesting how things changed in the course of two days.

"maybe if the visting parents were sitting on there own side of the feild they wouldnt have had things thrown at them...in the dutch fork game and the wando game...visiting parents sat on the home side of the feild, right next to our student section..."

Wando parents/fans didn't have the opportunity to sit on the opposite side...they tried to as soon as they got there but were told by HH officials they had to move.

"but if you are trying to say that hilton head is the only place with "rowdy" fans, then you are sadly mistaken"

there's a difference between rowdy and unruly. On thursday Wando and Irmo fans sat side by side (these schools absolutely hate each other...in case you didn't know) and there were no major problems. This could have been for a number of reasons, least of all is a police presence. Perhaps if HH had at least ONE uniformed officer there (which is the norm in every other HS athletic event ive ever attended) this situations wouldn't arise...call me crazy, but its just a thought...

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
u may be stupid ur athletic director forced both sets on fans dutch fork and wando to sit on that side. so maybe shut up and get ur info right before u say someone is sadly mistaken

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fans and students should have the self control to keep themselves from throwing stuff...and as much as i fault the students, i fault the adults as well. Nearly every one of them saw what was going on and no one said a word. Unacceptable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please don't assume that all HH fans behave in that manner. All schools have fans that stand out not just HH!! As for the comment pertaining to the teachers sitting on the same row, you are incorrect so shame on you for assuming!!

I noticed that scbbruin didn't mention that a DF parent continued to argue with a child fan, don't know what Hilton Head school they were from, until someone had to ask who the adult was. It goes both ways!!!! For the record there were several DF parents who sat in the middle of the HH fans.

The problem last night was not with a HH parent but with a college student (not a HH High student) who tossed an empty water bottle at someone from Wando. I have no other information on that aurgument but do agree that their actions were inappropriate! Wando and HH parents didn't have problems with each other. Actually sone of them spoke prior to the game and even during half time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard