quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Heise:
Jack, one clarification:
quote:
the argument of Hanahan HS (which is located on Daniel Island with Bishop England)
Hanahan is in Berkeley County and Bishop England is in Charleston County -- about nine miles apart.

The distance is correct, however, Daniel Island is in the City of Charleston, but in Berkeley County. Kids that live on Daniel Island go to Hanahan Public Schools. However, Daniel Island Elementary and Middle School is currently under construction. Evidently, begining next year, kids entering BE that live on Daniel Island will not be able to play sports for BE until the following year. (Example, I attend BE as a freshman, but cannot play sports until I am a sophmore if I live in Berkeley County.) I am a BE parent, and do believe the 1.5 mutliplier would be a fair compromise if it came down to it. I don't think an automatic elevation to the highest division would be however. One could argue that Academic Magnet has the same advantages of drawing from the whole county, but to throw them to the highest level (4-A) would be terrible for the kids. I know AMHS is a public school, but a private school that had the same enrollment as AMHS would not be able to compete with 4A schools. I sincerely believe that we all want to be fair to all the kids. I have enjoyed reading the well thought out ideas on this thread.