Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cardinal Newman lost to St. Joseph's 2-3 after overtime and penalty kicks (which seemed to go on forever!!). It was a great matchup, with the two teams fairly even in skill and conditioning. What was amazing was that CN used their back-up keeper for the PK's and she even made on of the PKs that went in! (Their primary keeper is fantastic but, as a 7th grader, she needs more experience in crunch situations before she can handle a shoot-out at the varsity level.)

As a CN parent (who is also a certified indoor soccer referee and married to a high school referee), I must say that the referees left a lot to be desired. There was a lot of over-the-back moves and flat-out pushing that was ignored. The CN players are way to polite to push back (plus they have not been coached to play like that).

This brings up the ugly topic of penalty kicks being a crappy way to win or lose a soccer games. Any comments?

World Cup
World Cup
I think if it can't be settled in an hour and a half of play, it is time to move on and use pk's.

Has anyone else noticed the higher level of play you get, the more aggressive and competitive the female players tend to get? The Premier and Challenge players on our squad are in another league compared to the classic/rec/non-club players in terms of fierce primal rage when playing. I, personally, like it.

B
goal
goal
B
I agree with Mom. I hate pk's. The Jefferson Cup tournament in Richmond takes a novel approach,which I like.During the OT periods, only 7 are allowed on the field. Makes the game open up and increases scoring opportunities.

I would rather see a tie than pk's . For 2 teams to expend so much energy to get through the game and 2 ots then to see it all end on a glorified free throw shooting contest is unfair.Yikes, I hate that word unfair. But, sometimes the fair result is a tie.

World Cup
World Cup
Here's a pretty good thread from a 1 1/2 years ago about ties -- Ties in HS Soccer.

World Cup
World Cup
I guess allow for ties, however you would have to consider handling ties like the aggragate with Champion League Games. I don't know how much our complaining will do...

T
throw in
throw in
T
ties (draws)are a great part of soccer and SCHSL should make the necessary changes to allow for games to end in a tie/draw in regular season/group play.

B
goal
goal
B
I guess I pretty much agree with the sentiment on Kyle's thread. Play 2 ot's with golden goal then call it a tie.Pk's only when a winner must be dedided.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
PK's are only good when you are on the winning end of the stick. It stinks to play a great game whether it's 0-0, 1-1 or 5-5 and then loose the game by PK's. I would love to see the 1v1 with goalie though. Now that is some good stuff.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Sorry coach, but I disagree. It's worse to end up with a loss when each team played to an equal score, but I understand both sides. I would still rather the game be called a tie than to loose in PK's. Just my opinion.

World Cup
World Cup
Let's be like Europe and say there doesn't always have to be a winner. It would promote more defensive schemes at time, but the competition would rise overall...even if slightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard