I have noticed that soccer ref’s seem to be more sensitive about comments from the crowd than refs from other sports. I wonder why that is? I have attended over a 100 high school basketball games, and I hear the crowd yelling and booing about a bad call all the time. The basketball refs ignore the crowd and continue to officiate the game the way they see fit. Never have I seen a parent threatened with being thrown out of a game for this type of behavior. However, if a coach or player gets out line than a technical foul is called.
On Saturday, some parents were making general comments among themselves about a bad call. They were not yelling or addressing the ref in any way. The sideline ref overheard some of the comments and threatened a parent with being kicked out. He took his attention from the game to get involved in conversation. I believe the soccer refs are officiating the game to the best of their abilities, but as a paid ref they should expect to hear a crowd express displeasure with calls some of the time.

Let me also express my gratitude to those willing to ref. THANK YOU – I know it is not easy.