Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
goal
goal
Sorry opressed(by the way that is a bad thing psychologically, come on now, get out of that closet), But some things need to be said. Take the last poster for instance, what does christianity have to do with any of this? Not all soccer players are christians. And just becuase they are officials does not mean they are alwyas correct. This is the problem, they actually think they are. So it may be in an asinine way, it evokes response, which in turn gets others(yourself) involved. In all, people are able to see different sides, from which they can make their own informed conclusions. Or what ever...

World Cup
World Cup
"What does Christianity have to do with this?"

I imagine everything. You're from an unchurched background, right? Don't take offense, just answer.

(We're taking an interesting turn here)

goal
goal
The one and only,

I agree with what you have to say, especially your ways to make it better. But until there is enough said about it, nothing will change. As of now it is too easy to be an official in this state. The rules do change from HS to club and so forth. That is why reading the handbook before a mparticular match will help refresh and prepare. I am glad you are in shape. You are probably one of the better officials and you probably work with likewise officials, but their are bad ones out there, I am sure you know this. We do need a way to give feedback to them, a way that merits not only "hey, thye didn't like this guy" but This guy being contacted and actually having a discussion about what may have occured without him being correct just becuase he was the official. I know during and dirrectly after a game people can be hot, so things like this need to be done after they cool down, but not days later.
Sorry I guess we could go on and on about this, but one last thing for possible discussion...Officials also need to have a thicker skin. I have seen many shrug off comments and such from everyone and remain focused on the game not the bantor, these are the ones I like, thye may have caught some flak for a bad call but they move on.

P.S. Thanks for acttaully discussing the problem. Really it will take all of us to make things better, not saying it is rock bottom or anything, but it can always be better.

goal
goal
No, WA, I did grow up in the church. regular Sunday school, service and all taht goes with it. But, I have been able to make my own opinions on religion, which would take tooo much time here. But basically I do appreciate trying to think and act like someone who knows what and how to do the right things.(not withholding what I say in this forum, haha)

coach
coach
The One,
A great post about the state of refs. I agree with most of your comments. There are some guys out there who are either past their prime or going thru poor motions. Then there are young guys still learning and trying their best to get the ref game down. Many people I talk to who love the game are afraid to ref because of what they see and hear dumped on the refs every game. I think a start would be with the zero tolerance policy, which I previously mentioned. It may be difficult at first, for players/coaches/fans to accept, but change is not always easy. I can imagine how the games proceed in the Boston league, which has the policy. More enjoyable soccer is probably played, a better environment exists and it is actually probably a more exciting game, without the distractions among the fans and the constant criticism of coaches/players. I think with more refs in the rotation a gradual increase in quality will come.
With limited numbers now, and with an incredible number of games to be done, it is hard to put certain restrictions on refs at this time. To be certain, there are some refs who are past their days or not in the best shape; but without them games would not be done. If the environment can change, so can the refs.

Goal
Goal
Interesting discussion and one that I'm interested in since I served as a referee and linesmen in the late 1990s. However, I had to chuckle out loud when I read 2004striker's link to Fred Bieber's plea to the SC Legislators:
quote:
I stated that I believed that the pending legislation might well provide a great deal of assistance to sports officials by its mere existence – that publicizing the possible penalties for assaulting soccer officials would have a prophylactic effect on individuals contemplating taking out their aggression against the officials at a match.
Folks, only World War II German Dictator look-a-likes (like 2004striker/FB) could come up with a word like prophylactic for this subject instead of something like say "preventive". Get a thesaurus, Fred!

On a more serious note, why wouldn't this legislation envelop all youth officials, referees, and judges instead of just covering soccer?

S
coach
coach
S
>>[ChuckNorris] [...]what does christianity have to do with any of this?

Christ taught a number of lessons that would seem to have direct impact on the discussion of how referees should be treated. "Love thy neighbor as thyself," "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.", and "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other as well." Most Christian's struggle with Christ's pacifism in the "real world" (I know that I do); and yet it seems something for which we should continue to strive.

It is entirely possible to be critical of referees and live within these teachings. Here's the issue that I see: you want referees to be better (more reading the rules, more getting in shape, less arrogance, "just be better") and yet systemically there don't appear to be enough referees. Now -- there's a market-based answer for this -- which is to charge all players a lot more and raise the compensation for referees to a level that a lot more people want to do it a lot more than they want to do it now. But trying to raise the quality of referees by restricting those that can become referees when there aren't enough referees is a tough business.

Regardless of how poor a referee might be, however, there doesn't appear to be any reason to show disrespect or to criticize that referee personally. I've seen a lot more "verbal assaulting" of referees from the stands at games than I've seen bad calls.

>>[ChuckNorris] [...] becuase of his poor english he wouold probably say something like "mr officail sir, suck you do"<<

Dude, anyone who can turn water into wine and raise the dead can master English.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Op emotions....sounds like someone got touched in there early years ....maybe if you got more involved or posted more you coud have a say in the matter BUT until then just sit there and continue to read or ignore my and Chuckl's posts!

I am here to stay!!!!

goal
goal
dang it Chimpo, religion has nothing to do with the topic here, leave it out. Not everyone beleives what you beleive, so stick to what is actually pertinant.

coach
coach
Chuckie, surely you are not enrolled in a college in SC? Please tell me no.
Its i before e.
Gees!

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard