Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#52233 05/06/06 06:32 PM
B
bench
bench
B
en dash,

It's too bad we only get to see one or two games a year of this caliber in girls' high school soccer!

Try and step out of "Campbell-vision" and into the real world though. In an attempt to be fair to the rest of the Lexington players and Fort Mill, here is what the rest of the spectators saw in the midfield.

Fort Mill's midfield (numbers 3 and 4, sometimes 11, I believe) was very effective against the Wildcats' midfield. Their #4 won most 50-50 balls and seemed to take the ball wherever she wanted, leaving Lex's midfield scrambling. FM's #3 was gutsy and aggressive. She must have had trouble with cramps or something because she had to be carried off the field a couple of times. Kira blended with the rest of the talent on the team and didn't really stand out until the 98th minute. Even then, FM had most of its players up top on offense and she was largely uncontested. Not taking a thing away from #9's talent, I just think those who were not able to see the game deserve to hear it was Lexington's unified field team strength and great saves by the goalie that prevailed last night, not some "hulkin freakin beast."

p.s. Indeed, the referees were horrible

#52234 05/06/06 08:10 PM
F
kick off
kick off
F
I agree Buzz
Lexington had a ton of talent on the field as well as Fort Mill. #8 from FM left her defense position to play forward and scored the goal. Lexington's goalie was great.

As far as the referees - they were the worst I have seen in 14 years of soccer. What a shame for a game of that importance

#52235 05/06/06 09:28 PM
S
coach
coach
S
anonymousjoe/buzzmere/FM Fan/and the rest of the Fort Mill nation: I was a spectator sitting with a bunch of others and I don't think any of us had...well, precisely your perspective on the game. It's amazing that the two teams had roughly the same number of shots on goal and yet FM was so dominant. [Smile] I agree that Lexington's keeper is fantastic -- but give your own keepers some credit -- both of them did a great job and on both goals had to leave a portion of the net open to cover the player with the ball -- the shots were great -- not in my opinion either of your keeper's fault.

Best of luck to Fort Mill and your daughters in the future.

#52236 05/06/06 09:46 PM
LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Last nights game between Lexington and FM was the best girls game I have seen since last years State Cup final between FM and WA. FM is indeed a great team and never quit and kept constant "pressure" (that for you r4sc)on Lexington.
As everyone else has stated the refs were just unbelievably terrible. Its a shame that in a game of this magnitude that even though they had 3 refs out there, none of them took control of the game or made consistant calls.
Again, kudo's to FM by far the best team Lexington has played this year. See you next year I'm sure....

#52237 05/06/06 09:48 PM
World Cup
World Cup
All this hugging and sportsmanship makes me wish Dorman had some supporters on the boards. Come on, Jo. Where's the love?

#52238 05/06/06 09:51 PM
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
I can't think of a time that I would rather my player stand out than maybe the 98th minute, when the game is on the line. That's what champions do, rise to the occasion. Congratulations to Kira Campbell for making a difference to her team when it mattered most!! I wasn't there but it sounds like it was a tremendous game and that a lot of great girls' high school soccer was played. Congratulations to both teams on a great game and especially to Lexington, who prevailed on this occasion.

#52239 05/06/06 09:54 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Whiskey & Easy: I found this quote in the newspaper by the TL Hanna coach referring to Dorman to be fascinating...

"He's the best coach in the state and they are the best team."

Isn't it a little early to move Dorman to #1? Shouldn't you wait until they beat Lexington and the lower state champion?

#52240 05/06/06 10:12 PM
S
coach
coach
S
sbs: Just to make it clear, while Kira Campbell had the two assists (the first I guess while "sitting in" rather than "standing out" [Smile] ) Kelly Maupin and Allie Johns were the two scorers and did a fantastic job with their runs and their shots. And the last score was set up by an Erica Deahl punt to midfield that Lexington was fortunate enough to win. And that's not even beginning to mention all of the incredible contributions by other players. I just wanted to make sure that isn't lost in all of this.

Fort Mill was very well coached and played together very well as a team. Lexington continues to be very young...

#52241 05/06/06 10:16 PM
T
kick off
kick off
T
quote:
Originally posted by buzzmere:

Kira blended with the rest of the talent on the team and didn't really stand out until the 98th minute. Even then, FM had most of its players up top on offense and she was largely uncontested. Not taking a thing away from #9's talent, I just think those who were not able to see the game deserve to hear it was Lexington's unified field team strength and great saves by the goalie that prevailed last night, not some "hulkin freakin beast."

I beg to differ. Kira Campbell had at least three people on her at all times last night. If thats what you mean by "largely uncontested" then something is wrong and you need to check your vocabulary. Now I am not saying that the team did bad. The whole team did great. But don't even begin to say that Campbell was "largely uncontested".

#52242 05/06/06 10:17 PM
LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
W&E: do I detect "sour grapes"??

Well Said Chico!!

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard