I have read with much interest the debates that have been presented here concerning a "larger, more centralized club" in Columbia.

I certainly support a club that would offer the highest caliber players an opportunity to compete against the state and region's best teams. But that only accounts for maybe 3-5% of the players in a given age group. It's the other 95% of the kids that I'm concerned with.

The "old" Columbia Metropolitan Soccer Association (CMSA 1993-95) idea was to have the local clubs (NECSA, Irmo, Chapin, Congaree, Trenholm, Lexington, etc.) train/develop the average players, while CMSA would take the top-level players in Columbia and compete at the highest level possible.

This partially worked as not all clubs were willing to "give up" their top players and try to compete with lesser players. Also, many of the smaller clubs couldn't afford to lose 2-3 players off their individual teams and keep their teams intact due to numbers.

Another point that dogged CMSA was the inability to secure a field/facility for training and match play. Most fields in the area are governed by recreation commissions and are reluctant to open up much use (or control) to classic league soccer clubs. I think the fact that CSC and NECSA have soccer facilities at their disposal (due to hard work and commitment) give them the biggest advantage in the Columbia region.

Until all the key members of the clubs coordinate an effort to work together and secure facilities for a mega-clubs use, I think much of this is simply wishful thinking. Sorry gogogoal and Shibumi.