Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
kick off
kick off
B
Folks,

I don't know who any of you are, and I'm reasonably certain that Belligerent, is not part of the decision makers at Bridge FA.

Chico, first I don't disagree with much of what you have said. However, I want to add a little (for now, as I have much to do today).

Risk/Cost: As PERSONALLY explained to numerous members of MPSC coaching staff, board members, and town employees, Bridge FA, has no financial impact to MPSC, and actually could have lowered the cost of the Director of Soccer. Further could have provided some stability in the time of searching. Some could argue, win/win, with overall operating cost reduction.

Swimmer,
Perhaps you could PM me some of the details to pull this off. Unfortunately, putting all of the best players under a current club is one that won't work.

goal
OP Offline
goal
Chico, you have some excellent points...mainly, that my overzealous attempts to rally the troops are totally the wrong way to get it done...for this, I apologize. And, I would like to add that Mr. Sweet's post is correct - I have absolutely nothing to do with the decision makers at the Bridge. I hope that no one has gotten that impression.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that many MPSC parents see what the administration either does not see or does not want to admit. Yes, MPSC has been very successful, but if you have ever read the Who Stole My Cheese book, you will understand that MPSC cannot continue on their current path if they want to be not only the most successful club in Charleston, but in the state.

No, there is no guarantee that MPSC joining the Bridge will help them, but sometimes you just have to take a chance. As it is, they are taking the easy road, which does not appear to go in the same direction as the Bridge.

Again, Chico, you are absolutely correct...only time will tell. I'll leave it at that.

Good luck to all Charleston-area clubs now and in the future.

Belligerent....signing off....

(this subject, at least)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHile I am new to this forum, I do have afew comments. We have now been through one week of tryouts. Having witnessed tryouts at both MPSC and Bridge FA, I have some thoughts to ponder:

1. BFA has a much better and experienced coaching staff - Brisson, Lundy, Posnanski, Dempsey, Santoro, Khouri. MPSC has new director with little experience. He has Christi Arnold who has been with Mt.P Rec/MPSC for several years. He has surrounded himself with kids just out of college with little or no coaching experience. There are also parent coaches with little or no playing experience, much less coaching. The most experienced coaches visible at the tryouts were David Jordan and Ralph Polson. It seems David is coaching at least one team. Polson participated in the tryouts, but has not been given a team. Juan Roncancio is working again with Mike Richmond with one of the older girls team. They have been a regular coaching duo for several years with state championship to their credit. Their tryouts are scheduled for this week. There are a few Battery players assisting. It seems that even most of the MPSC coaches wanted the BFA experience.

2. BFA's organization and presentation were second to none. There was an unbelieveable feel at the BFA tryouts - a definite feel of professionalism. MPSC were the "same old -same old" again. The BFA College Recruiting Seminar was a nice touch for the older players (MPSC had talked about such a seminar, but never put it together). To bring three profile college coaches to lead it was special. Parents and players were impressed. The vision, the structure, the staff. That is the type of environment serious players want. How can BFA not succeed?

3. BFA seems to be facing a real issue with fields for training. Most other Mt. P parents are questioning how worthwhile it will be to travel to Summerville and James Island. Everyone talks of training at Daniel Island. How will that be possible? It seems every team thinks they are training there. Try driving to Summerville at 5:00 pm up 526 to I-26. MPSC has quality fields at both ends of the town and only has to battle Highway 17 traffic.

4. In most age groups, it seems the best players are leaving MPSC for BFA. The only quality (state championship caliber) team left at MPSC is the girls Conquest team. Santoro and Dempsey took their teams to BFA. Lundy has taken his group to BFA. I see MPSC becoming a Classic club much like JIYSC had become. I believe there will always be plenty of kids playing in Mt. P to form teams in every age group, but the quality will diminish. The best players will realize the need for quality coaching and competition.

4. It seems BFA is providing a quality experience for the serious, committed players. MPSC/Mt.P Rec Dept is providing a "soccer experience", mainly for Mt. P residents.

5. That being said, not every kid will make the BFA teams (1st teams). Will they be satisfied on the 2nd/"B" teams? Maybe they will turn to Mt.P for a Challenge team experience.

Any thoughts?

S
throw in
throw in
S
quote:
Originally posted by lowcountrysoccerfan:
WHile I am new to this forum, I do have afew comments. We have now been through one week of tryouts. Having witnessed tryouts at both MPSC and Bridge FA, I have some thoughts to ponder:

1. BFA has a much better and experienced coaching staff - Brisson, Lundy, Posnanski, Dempsey, Santoro, Khouri. MPSC has new director with little experience. He has Christi Arnold who has been with Mt.P Rec/MPSC for several years. He has surrounded himself with kids just out of college with little or no coaching experience. There are also parent coaches with little or no playing experience, much less coaching. The most experienced coaches visible at the tryouts were David Jordan and Ralph Polson. It seems David is coaching at least one team. Polson participated in the tryouts, but has not been given a team. Juan Roncancio is working again with Mike Richmond with one of the older girls team. They have been a regular coaching duo for several years with state championship to their credit. Their tryouts are scheduled for this week. There are a few Battery players assisting. It seems that even most of the MPSC coaches wanted the BFA experience.

2. BFA's organization and presentation were second to none. There was an unbelieveable feel at the BFA tryouts - a definite feel of professionalism. MPSC were the "same old -same old" again. The BFA College Recruiting Seminar was a nice touch for the older players (MPSC had talked about such a seminar, but never put it together). To bring three profile college coaches to lead it was special. Parents and players were impressed. The vision, the structure, the staff. That is the type of environment serious players want. How can BFA not succeed?

3. BFA seems to be facing a real issue with fields for training. Most other Mt. P parents are questioning how worthwhile it will be to travel to Summerville and James Island. Everyone talks of training at Daniel Island. How will that be possible? It seems every team thinks they are training there. Try driving to Summerville at 5:00 pm up 526 to I-26. MPSC has quality fields at both ends of the town and only has to battle Highway 17 traffic.

4. In most age groups, it seems the best players are leaving MPSC for BFA. The only quality (state championship caliber) team left at MPSC is the girls Conquest team. Santoro and Dempsey took their teams to BFA. Lundy has taken his group to BFA. I see MPSC becoming a Classic club much like JIYSC had become. I believe there will always be plenty of kids playing in Mt. P to form teams in every age group, but the quality will diminish. The best players will realize the need for quality coaching and competition.

4. It seems BFA is providing a quality experience for the serious, committed players. MPSC/Mt.P Rec Dept is providing a "soccer experience", mainly for Mt. P residents.

5. That being said, not every kid will make the BFA teams (1st teams). Will they be satisfied on the 2nd/"B" teams? Maybe they will turn to Mt.P for a Challenge team experience.

Any thoughts?

With due respect to your statement number 4 that the only state championship quality team remaining at MPSC is Conquest shows your lack of knowledge of the teams "remaining" at MPSC. While I advocated the move to Bridge, it did not happen. If you do not believe the U16s are a viable contender for state - then you obviously do not know the team nor do you know the level of competition at the U16 level. Stand by and watch this fall. Just don't get in their way!

S
coach
coach
S
Like soccerdog6, I have to admit I was pretty surprised when I read this. I believe that MPSC had the following teams as state challenge cup finalists in the 2004-2005 season [i.e., add 1 to get their rising 2005-2006 bracket]:

• MPSC U17B
  • MPSC U16B
  • MPSC U12B
  • MPSC U16G
  • MPSC U15G
  • MPSC U13G
  • MPSC U12G
I thought it was a pretty impressive performance by the club. How many of these teams have moved out of MPSC?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
I wouldn't take the BFA 2nd/"B" teams lightly...BFA isn't fielding teams just to say they have 2 teams. They made it quite clear that if there were enough "challenge" level players they would accomodate accordingly. Looking at the U15B's, I would say both teams are extremely strong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lowcountry,
Who is "Lundy's group"? He did not coach with MPSC last year?

B
kick off
kick off
B
A couple of comments:

Bridge FA tryouts for the older groups are still on going, as well as other area clubs. It's too early to really tell the relative strengths of many of the teams. Bridge FA is pleased with the turnout in the older age groups.

Bridge FA is only fielding challenge level teams, where the numbers and ability warrant it. So moving away from a Bridge FA "Red" team for the "challenge team experience" is faulty logic.

There is and has been much discussion about Mt Pleasant players driving to SSC or JIYSC for practice. Can every team train all sessions at Daniel Island, probably not. Can every team get one session at Daniel Island and one session at another location, possibly so. Bridge FA is intended to be a cooperative arrangement with the local clubs. Each Bridge FA team therefore is a representative of this cooperative arrangement. As such, the individual team members, that seek to train and play at the highest levels, should be willing to compromise a little.

This is complicated with not all area clubs joining the alliance. With continued cooperation with the clubs, this can be overcome. However, it has to start with people that share a common vision. If you desire to train and play at the highest level, then you should seriously consider Bridge FA, and find ways to overcome some of the present inconveniences.

In the words of Max DePree, "Management has a lot to do with answers. Leadership is a function of questions. And the first question for a leader always is: Who do we intend to be? Not what are we going to do, but who do we intend to be."

coach
coach
I said I would never, ever, ever again say anything about a Cola area merger, because I finally realized, thanks to frequent counseling sessions with my personal sports therapist and also thru the wisdom I gained from reading Chico's rational posts; that a merger can never happen here due to the goals/priorities mindset of the multiple clubs. So I will couch my comments here to reflect more on the current BridgeFA/MPSC situation. I am not familar at all with the lowcountry clubs and their goals, but I venture to say that none of them -SSC,JIYSA,MPSC and now BridgeFA- had or have as their primary goals to serve as nurturers for their respective area high school soccer teams or to provide a neat, convenient social setting for satisfactory soccer. I believe their goals were and are always focused on producing the best possible club competitors. These goals are in great contrast to what we see in Cola., where one club admittedly serves to primarily prepare players for their area high school; another club serves to have a semi-social setting for its area players who desire average, but not too intense soccer; another club has great facilities, but no one has yet been able to determine why they don't desire that more than adequate soccer be played there; and then only one club that is trying hard to combat the 'CESA menace' and strives to field teams that seek championships. This Cola environment is in extreme contrast to that at 'monster CESA' and what is now coming out of the lowcountry where the obvious, specific goals are to field great and competitive teams. Therefore, with all that garbage said, it is a no-brainer to participate in the alliance when you have 2 clubs -BridgeFA(after an obviously successful merger of SSC & JIYSA) & MPSC- with the same ideals and goals of producing high quality club teams, but who can not yet come to a mutual agreement to compete under the one alliance. BridgeFA & MPSC - that kind of alliance cannot and will not, ever happen in Cola., but you are so close to a great thing. You need to resolve any differences, assuage any egos, and purposely seek what is truly the best alliance of the lowcountry players. With such an alliance, maybe one day in the not too distant future, I may hear (from my nursing home bed), that the 'evil Red CESA machine' sputters and spits and frets when it attempts to compete with The Bridge. Tell me where I am possibly wrong in any of my many assumptions here. I still do not think too clearly due to my many head balls in my youth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BridgeFA,
You said it all.

2004striker,
You will here it before the nursing home.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard