Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#59153 07/20/05 01:39 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I agree- that's why I suggested for them to make their comments to SCYSA. We need all the best players in the state to compete with the level coming out of the other states.

#59154 07/20/05 03:59 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I have been involved with ODP for the past few years as well, and the frustration is great in many aspects. I have very little knowledge of the girls side so I will make my comments on the boys side.
1- the best players are not participating. Why? because, although stated in many different views, there is an amount of politics involved. i.e. A boy selected to particpate only because his parent was an admin.
2- Cost... It cost a lot of money to participate in the events. SCYSA should figure out how to make it "free" for all, not just the few who can get scholarships.
3-tryouts... I have been to many, and as someone said before, you know who the players are. Why tryout if Billy will get picked without ever showing his face.
4-practices.... We are in SC, this is almost impossible to do with the players coming from all over the state. One week in Charleston, one week in Columbia. Practices are once a month (maybe a couple)for 4hrs. It does not provide for the best environment to become part of a team. Although individually you may be great it will not show you if the communication with your teammate is not there.
5- Coaches.... This is a revolving never ending door of coaches. There have been times when the coaches just don't show up, or worst do not go to ODP camp with the team that was assigned.
6-Clubs/teams... frankly some do not promote , encourage and in some cases discourage participation. Why? I do not know. But many times players only knew because I happened to mention it

In the recent past there have been small changes that seem to be placing the program in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go. I will continue to promote the program to my son because I believe that it will only make him better. However, I'll be honest, this past year was a losinng proposition

#59155 07/21/05 04:44 AM
P
kick off
kick off
P
This is our first year with ODP and I agree with many of the comments especially concerning where the issues are and the need for improvement in the program.
I went and asked my son was it worth the blood, sweat and $ to attend the camp. He said that he did learn a lot from the trainer and he felt he played better overall because of the level of players on the team and the competition. He said that playing with people other than his regular team mates made him think differently, talk more, and play stronger. He also said it was obvious that Fla and NTX didn't expect much from our teams - they showed up 10 minutes before game start-- He felt that the teams were a bit surprised at SCs level of play!
I also feel that the boys had a wonderful coach -Adrian Pinasco and asst coach Bert Molinary. He expected no less than their best and they gave it to him. I was continually impressed by the consistent player turn out at practice sessions and how much work they squeezed in that couple of hours.

So for us it was a good year of growth and development albeit expensive. I'm not sure if its the coach, the boys, the parents or what.. but I hope the program continues to strengthen.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard