Preface: lurker, I appreciate the conversation and the chance to learn.

>>[lurker] However, in my opinion, what these clubs have done is create another informal tier in the soccer club hierarchy. There is now classic, challenge, CESA / Bridge and premier. To progress from classic to premier, a player needs to go through one of the two big teams.<<

What I see is that in select South Carolina used to have classic and challenge. Sure, we used to play in RIIIPL-East, but except for some "heroic, one-off" teams we were a laughing-stock [we produced teams that lost almost all their games with goal differentials of -25 or worse [I've seen even -60]]. Slowly, in fits and starts, several clubs have begun producing an array of teams [not just a one-off team] that are more competitive in RIIIPL-East. So we're beginning to have classic, challenge, and premier.

The discontinuity that's occurred in the last 18 months that is making people feel uncomfortable is that process -- we have clubs involved in the change that will hopefully allow South Carolina to compete better in RIIIPL-East. The only scary thing is that other states are improving as we're improving; so it's not a matter of whether we're changing for the better but how fast we're changing for the better.

>>[lurker] But, looking at the results, if that team is not CESA or Bridge, it makes it very hard to justify the cost. And even if he was good enough to make the roster of CESA or Bridge, that's way too far for us.<<

I understand that -- each family has to make a decision. One of the reasons I'm so glad that CSC/NECSA decided to merge and that CESA is expanding their Columbia stuff is that it puts a third metropolitan area into the mix -- which increases the convenience factor for players that wish to compete [not just play] at the highest possible level.

>>[lurker] My question concerning the mission statements of SCYSA, SCSCL and the clubs is one of ownership of the process for making South Carolina competitive at the next level. It appears that two clubs have taken it upon themselves to make this happen. And that's great. But, does it make the ODP [and therefore SCYSA] irrelevant? And does that hurt the goal of providing a league within SC where any team can start the season knowing they have a shot of finishing in better than third place? <<

In Georgia there's always a lot of worry that the Atlanta teams dominate. In North Carolina there's always a lot of worry that Raleigh-area teams dominate. And for the most part they do -- the combined forces of better clubs and better demographics make them hard to stop.

South Carolina has several metropolitan areas; there's no demographic reason that one area should be dominant over others. However, up until 18 months ago, areas with less population density were able to better compete due to the fragmentation of clubs coupled with relatively poor organizational processes [for competing at higher levels]. What Bridge showed in the last 6 months is that it's possible to make great strides if you are willing to do it.

Now onto ODP. ODP is an identification and selection process. I know that lots of people want it to be more; but it is what it is. ODP fits into a national scheme; fundamentally changing it would appear to be outside of the control of any state.

Now, I know that lots of players and parents believe in ODP from a resume or university coach identification point of view. I get that. But that's going to be secondary to the overall goals of the program.

You could make a fascinating case for SCYSA becoming deeply involved in the training of players -- either through ODP or through some other tangential process. As somone who believes offering more training is better, I'd be all for it. But as it is now, the only vehicle that is training related is the club -- so I'm hoping that the trend continues and more clubs offer more and better training.